1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part XXII)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by richgilb, Oct 14, 2017.

1. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Pfft, only an ex ambassador and legal "expert". As he says himself: “I’m not a politician. I’m just the guy who wrote the treaty telling you what the treaty means.” What does he know?

3. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis neither hairy nor a haggis!

oh dear. brexit bulldog (and master negotiator) has only 2 weeks to save the...negotiations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41941414

"The UK has two weeks to clarify key issues or make concessions if progress is to be made in Brexit talks, the bloc's chief negotiator has said."

but be of good cheer. bbamn has an idea: "David Davis said it was time for both sides "to work to find solutions"."

no sh1t sherlock!?

dear god. you'd have thought this shower of 5 watt muppets would have had all the solutions, ready to roll out, 18 months ago when they were cheerleading for this trainwreck.

andrewd likes this.
  4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

DD is staggering on with no deal in sight, 500 days after announcing to the world his government was taking Britain out of Europe. His own party hardliners will break him and May- they will not stand for £60bn handed to the EU just to buy a seat at the market access negotiating table, nor will the Tory right wing and the DUP tolerate being told by Dublin and its 26 European allies what sort of border it's going to have with the EU.
    Chinless Dave and his Party obviously did no contingency planning for what they've unleashed on Britain.

5. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

It's a good job that British people will always succeed no matter what we do*. Some sort of genetic thing, I suppose. Otherwise I'd be worried that a bunch of dishonest clowns leading us over the Brexit cliff might lead to failure.

* I dunno how that can be reconciled with the England football team, but Chris Grayling will know.

6. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

7. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Sadly, the entire project of leaving the EU is based on a lie. I know some people are fed up of hearing this but the UK does *not* send the EU £350m every week.

The true figure, according to the front page of today's Daily Express is closer to £900m per week, almost three times what was originally claimed by the Leave campaign.

The calculation comes from a "city analyst" and includes (wait for it...) tax that is not collected in the UK due to loopholes we can't close because of EU regulations.

I almost wet myself laughing in the middle of WH Smiths when I read that. But, in all serious, this is Trump territory: when found out telling a lie, tell an even bigger lie until the very idea of shared facts is obliterated. Unfortunately, reality has a way of biting back and I suspect it won't be too long before people start to feel the pain - although it might be too late to prevent this epic act of economic self-harm.

8. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

I would have thought even DD could have learnt to use crayons to scribble out a plan in that time but no.

9. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

10. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

11. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

What does the notice that the blonde's holding say, drood? I've lost my glasses.

12. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

It says “if you can’t read this you need glasses”

13. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

14. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

15. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Ahh....I didn't have you down as blond. You hide it well.

16. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Yes, under a fine shade of silver-grey.

Well, I think its fine. Distinguished.

17. Cav

Cav pfm Member

The Irish Border issue is one for the EU to sort out. The UK can have an open border unless the EU tells the RoI that it cannot have an open border with the UK.

18. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

One problem is that you can't control the movement of people with an open border, and controlling movement of people was one of the central reasons from people voting to leave ... apparently.

19. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

The EU cannot have a open border where imported chlorinated chicken or other EU non-sanctioned produce can pass freely. The UK would need to sign up to EU rules to have an open border. Like the one we are signed up to now.

How some in the UK cannot get their heads around this is beyond me.

Stephen

20. Cav

Cav pfm Member

I am sure we have done this to death previously but: The UK, when it ragains its sovereignity, which it never gave up btw, can offer an open border to RoI if it wishes. If the EU refuses to allow RoI to accept, that is not UK's doing.