1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part XXIII)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gassor, Dec 5, 2017.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

£10bn says they'll go along with anything May tells them- peerages on top of course.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’d be very surprised. They are the political wing of the UDA/UVF, no-compromise on this subject is at a genetic basis.

3. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

It would be nuts if they do it again. And it seems they still could...

Latest from Faisal Islam: "“Caution. We are still working.” - DUP Source"

You can bet they're loving every minute. Proper (Billy the) kingmakers.

4. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

If the Tories have even a smidgeon of respect for the Country the proport to serve then they will tell the DUP to fock off over this and work with other parties accepting that they may need to call an election.

richgilb likes this.
  5. TheDecameron

Still working on the fee.

6. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

We're now down to a few Orangemen in Belfast stopping a deal that will impact 500 million people.

Laura Kuenssberg: "While I'm told DUP Westminster leadership has signed off the new proposal, the DUP Belfast leadership has not yet - so take this caveat seriously, nothing has been officially confirmed and it could yet stumble"

I believe that if DUP Belfast agree then we wait to hear from DUP Antrim. Here he is...

7. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

The US and the UK are being screwed by orange men!

sean99 likes this.
  8. TheDecameron

Squeaky Troll, formerly of Republicans Overseas, now fronting another right wing economic think tank, is on QT saying "we need to be optimistic about Brexit". What a breathtaking shill- she's a GOP member and U.S citizen!

9. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Yes, I'm watching QT too. I was unaware of her background until I saw your post but guessed it was dodgy. What an intensely irritating person she is. And that dreadful squeaky voice.

10. TheDecameron

She's a paid shill- fronting right wing U.S interests. Now hiding among the Brexit crowd as if she was British. She uses the same techniques as ukip QT panelists- using the opportunity of answering a question to get the carefully scripted propaganda in. She's had very extensive media training- you can see the techniques a mile away, but the messaging/ the sound bites are all entirely predictable because she turns up with a working list she has to get through.
    Her defence of Trump while apparently denouncing him was an object lesson.

11. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

I gave up on QT when it became a platform for the far-right.

I used to miss it.

Tonight, until I read the above posts, I'd forgotten it was on.

One day at a time...

12. markvdv

markvdv pfm Member

How hard can the soft brexit get ?

13. Nero

Nero It's unlikely

Frictionless border in the island of Ireland. And integrity of UK single market. Anyone for cake? After I've eaten it of course!

I am ashamed to be British. There, I've said it. We have regressed 40 years, and are in denial about the future. UK is doomed to become a closeted inward looking tax haven like Switzerland.

I look over the North Sea and I see countries being run for the benefit of their citizens. Over here, we are definitely not in it together. I am depressed.

andrewd likes this.
  14. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

That's the preparation stages complete and we've caved in on everything, ECJ, alignment and budget commitments. No whistling, just clock ticking. Now for the negotiations proper.

15. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

The Brexit promises were lies. They pretty much lied about everything. No wonder David Davis got the job!

A bloke who blogs about Brexit for the FT and knows about these things a lot more than us sums it up neatly: "The "sufficient progress" report reads more like a surrender document. On almost every point, UK has just capitulated to EU27 positions of April 2017. Eight months wasted - could have just said yes then." https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/939030772693872641

Tusk warns: "I’ve sent #Brexit guidelines for 2nd phase to EU27 leaders. While being satisfied with today's agreement, let's remember that the most difficult challenge still ahead. Breaking up is hard. But breaking up and building a new relationship is much harder."

Plus what's Rees-Mogg and Co going to say now?

I reckon it's now or never for Mogg to make his move.

[​IMG]

16. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

I misread that as condiments at first and wondered if this meant that even after BREXIT people will still have to put mayo on their chips instead of ketchup.

17. richgilb

richgilb I'd have voted out lol....

It hasn't really worked though, has it? She is wooden in delivery, and the soundbites are over-used. They fall into the conversations like massive turds dropped from a great height.

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

So how does this border thing work? Lets say hypothetically Theresa May’s ever-authoritarian Conservatives decide to ban metric socket spanners, what exactly stops a flood of black market ones crossing the border? The same logic applies to absolutely anything that even has marginally different values on either side of the border. If there is the slightest profit margin it will happen.

19. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis <((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.

i was wondering about that one over breakfast. i have no idea how that could be implemented. but i do note:

Nicola Sturgeon: "An aside - a UK government that is able to say that come what may, it will avoid hard borders with Ireland/NI after Brexit can never again tell Scotland that independence would mean a hard border between Scotland and rUK"

20. TheDecameron

But you could see the olde Brexit section of the audience lapping it up- just like Trump, she keeps the myths cheerful, simple and well away from reality. She's even pretending to be British.