1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Buckmaster RIP

Discussion in 'music' started by paul darwin, Nov 8, 2017.

1. paul darwin

paul darwin Trade: Rega Research

I believe that Paul Buckmaster who arranged strings for many many prominent artists including Elton John, The Rolling Stones, Guns and Roses, The Grateful Dead, Tears for Fears, Ben folds five and countless others and also worked with Miles Davis on "On the Corner" has sadly passed away.

RIP Paul.

PD

2. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

3. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

A very talented and important individual in the world of Popular Music - RIP Paul

4. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

Bugger!!

They all keep leaviing...

RIP

5. stefane

stefane Active Member

Paul Buckmaster's work for David Bowie, Elton John, Leonard Cohen or The Rolling Stones seems to be well known.

However, as an arranger and conductor, and also as a solo cellist, his lesser-known contributions literally spread to hundreds of records. Just to name a few of his collaborations that are usually not mentioned in any reviews:

Michael Chapman - The Aviator ("Fully Qualified Survivor", Harvest, 1970)
    Wonderful violin and cello pushing against the guitars and adding some sinister and gloomy layers to this compelling freak folk track.

Judie Tzuke - Bring the Rain ("Welcome to the Cruise", The Rocket Record Company, 1979)
    A melancholy ballad from Judie Tzuke's wonderful debut album with Paul Buckmaster's arrangements slowly creeping in. Judie Tzuke is a songwriter having released some great albums, but practically ignored by listeners.

Lloyd Cole - Margo's Waltz ("Don't Get Weird on Me Babe", Polydor, 1991)
    Paul Buckmaster adding some gorgeously lush strings to Lloyd Cole's second solo album.

The Jayhawks - Blue ("Tomorrow the Green Grass", American Recordings, 1995)
    Paul Buckmaster's subtle but powerful string arrangements and soaring harmonies contribute generously to this "perfect" pop song.

Ben Folds - Learn to Live with What You Are ("Supersunnyspeedgraphic, The LP", Epic, 2006)
    Paul Buckmaster's arrangement largely contributes to the feel of this sweet 70s vintage-style ballad.

6. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

Great arranger. RIP