1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2017 Part III

Discussion in 'photo' started by chipbutty, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Lefty

Lefty pfm Member

I just wanted to re-visit this statement from me back in Summer. Truth to be told, I was starting to wonder if it was the right decision to have sold the X-T2 and move over to the D800E. At the time it was getting next to no use and the X100T was king. However, the promise of utilising that awesome full frame 36MP sensor in Autumn made me hang on to it. Well, what a difference 4 months makes! I can't imagine life without the D800E now. It has more than justified itself over the past couple of months as I have had the pleasure of shooting Autumn with it. I realise that photography is so subjective, but I am personally very happy with the results this camera has been giving me. Enough rambling from me! As this is a photo thread, here's a little snippet of my last 11 images - all taken with the D800E :)

[​IMG]

Lefty

Mr Cat and Gromit like this.
  2. Tantris

Tantris pfm Member

That's a nice set of images, Amar. In the last few months, I've been using a digital back on a Hasselblad H2, to see how it compares to a large format film camera. For landscape work, I probably still prefer LF film - it might take a little more time, but camera movements and single sheet development make it easier to get what I initially visualised. The main benefits of the digital camera are mobility, high EI speeds and incredible resolution - I can walk around a building and take pictures that I would not have been able to take with a camera on a tripod, like this;

[​IMG]

However, with a digital back and fast 35mm lense, it's a heavy camera, and I could easily be persuaded to trade it for something lighter. It looks to me as if the new DSLRs and mirrorless cameras are not far away from that.

Gromit likes this.
  3. Lefty

Lefty pfm Member

That is utterly gorgeous Tantris! I'e never had the pleasure of shooting LF (digital or film). The closest I have got is MF film, but the restrictions that places on shutter speed and aperture (i.e. it needs to suck in a lot of light!) put me off.

Having said that, a MF slide is something to behold and that tactile experience is hard to get with digital. (I can only begin to imagine what LF slides are like!). This is why I'm a big proponent of printing. (Trouble is, I am now running out of wall space to hang my work!)

Lefty

4. Milan

Milan pfm Member

Antelope Island is indded a stunning image.

Here's one from this weeks insomnia......

[​IMG]Lonely Cloud by Milan Vjestica, on Flickr

Gromit and Pete MB&D like this.
  5. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

^ wow.

Pete

6. Lefty

Lefty pfm Member

Just picking up on the joy of printing - here's the image above printed (at home using my Epson SC-P600 on Fotospeed Platinum Baryta) and framed ready for hanging. For info, it's a 15" x 10" print on A3 paper :)

[​IMG]

I highly recommend home printing for those who haven't tried it. Inkjets have come a long way since the early days!

Lefty

7. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

An old one I scanned yesterday 1988 I think
    [​IMG]Christine by Pete, on Flickr

Paulicus, Mr Cat and Gromit like this.
  8. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Went to the Lincoln Photo Show this morning, got to play with a couple of new cameras (notably the brand new Panny G9 which is very impressive) and took a wander in the sunshine round Brayford Pool and Lincoln University:

[​IMG]Warehouse by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

[​IMG]LPAC by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Paulicus, mentalp and Lefty like this.
  9. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Mr Cat likes this.
  10. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

11. Lefty

Lefty pfm Member

Love those Richard. 'LPAC' in particular is superb :)

12. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Thanks Amar - you're very kind. Was a gorgeous morning that's for sure, and managed to come away from the Show with wallet unscathed...just! :D

13. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

[​IMG]

davcoll likes this.
  14. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

busy doing another backup of my photos - and I've taken ~91k photos since 2001..!

15. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

16. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

perfect holiday...

[​IMG]

17. John Barry

John Barry pfm Member

18. Lefty

Lefty pfm Member

Love the balloon seller image Mr C!

John - that is superb! (what is it?)

My pleasure Richard :) You're stronger willed than me! I purposely avoid those shows as I know that the result would be a Nikon D850 + beans on toast for a month :D

Another from last weekend in the woods:

[​IMG]

Jurassic by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon D800E / Tamron 70-200mm f2.8

Lefty

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017 at 3:04 PM
    Paulicus, Mr Cat and Gromit like this.
  19. John Barry

John Barry pfm Member

11th November

Taken in the church at Tyneham, a 'ghost village' in Dorset:

[​IMG]