1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

political dissident still held captive in London

Discussion in 'off topic' started by vuk, Nov 11, 2017.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

UK prosecutors admit destroying key emails in Julian Assange case

"The Crown Prosecution Service is facing embarrassment after admitting it destroyed key emails relating to the WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who is holed up in Ecuador’s London embassy fighting extradition."

Email exchanges between the CPS and its Swedish counterparts over the high-profile case were deleted after the lawyer at the UK end retired in 2014."

this should be an embarrassment to the entire nation.

maxflinn likes this.
  2. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

why is the font so big? not sure what the hell i did. sorry!

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

No matter the size of the font Assange remains a shifty two-faced propagandist of a highly partisan nature.

I thought the rape charges had been lifted a good while back, so he is free to leave whenever he wants, but being an attention-seeker he’s staying put!

PsB likes this.
  4. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

wikileaks has a 100% track record for accuracy. what you seem to object to are some of the "editorial" decisions in terms of control of what is made public. do you hold all other journalists to this same standard?

in his interview, he actually addresses your concerns:

maxflinn likes this.
  5. Still

Still gyldengourd

I thought Assange's weasel words in response to the #metoo campaign were most revealing.

"Women, I will let you in on a male secret. Men know that constantly self-proclaiming male 'feminists' are often predatory sleaze bags.
    They are intensely disliked by other men because of their manipulative qualities and not, in general, because they are viewed to be sex traitors."

Julian Assange

6. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i certainly don't approve of how he worded that or share the sentiment (i'm not even sure i fully understand what he's on about exactly), but it hardly excuses his treatment. that whole twitter world is a load of b****cks that i have no interest in.

Still likes this.
  7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, 100% accuracy in revealing just one side in any argument. There is little doubt Assange won the election for Trump by placing damaging information on just one candidate into the public domain. It is also almost certain that information was hacked and passed to Assange by Russian sources, i.e. he was played like a chump by political forces looking to destabilise America. As such I just view him as a cheap propagandist who helped set back climate science, civil rights, equitable healthcare etc etc and made the world a far more dangerous place. If he meant well he was a blithering idiot, if not he is something far, far worse.

8. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

in that interview, he comments on / responds to most of this. have you watched it?

maxflinn likes this.
  9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ll watch it later.

10. Still

Still gyldengourd

I think Wikileaks has provided a genuine public interest service in blowing the whistle on shitheaded activities e.g. helicopter gun crews blithely slaughtering people.
    Assange certainly had good reason to fear being extraordinarily renditioned by the owner/operator of that very helicopter gunship.
    But he appears to have a significantly fcuked up attitude to women.

Twitter is a tool, and like so many can be very useful once you get the hang of it.
    claire.fox taught me, so maybe she can help you.

11. maxflinn

maxflinn Always Trying To Be Logical

It's no surprise to hear the British regime did this. When the elites running the US regime shout jump they say how high.

If Assange left the embassy he'd be arrested and shipped to the US where he'd remain incarcerated until his death, and he knows this only too well.

Still likes this.
  12. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Surely he'd be feted as a hero for his role in helping Trump to defeat Hillary?

13. Still

Still gyldengourd

Considering the documents were the responsibility of the CPS that's somewhat of an understatement.

14. Cav

Cav pfm Member

@ VUK: Assange is not being held captive in London. He chooses to live in the Ecuador Embassy and is free to leave whenever he wishes...

wyjsar likes this.
  15. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

yes, of course. sorry to have mis-represented the situation. maybe you can get the authorities to edit what i posted.

16. Andrew Hughes

Andrew Hughes Member

Minor point, but shouldn't the title be 'Ego monkey continues to hide out in embassy'? While the deletion of the email is slightly embarrassing, does anyone know how important they actually are/were? They could just be jurisdiction discussions for all we know. Even if the rape charges are dropped, Assange is still guilty of fleeing the country, and I 'm pretty sure the American extradition claim is rubbish too.

17. Still

Still gyldengourd

Father Christmas appears grumpy this season.

18. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

hey, don't blame me for that. the website that sold me avatar said it was adam smith. i'm still waiting for the refund.

p.s. i see you've replaced the gerald ford pic -- did you get swindled too?

Still likes this.
  19. Still

Still gyldengourd

That wasn't Gerald Ford? It appears we have both become victims.

20. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

at least we didn't get groped.