1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Priti Patel: Undisclosed Meetings in Israel

Discussion in 'off topic' started by droodzilla, Nov 3, 2017.

1. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Mentioned on the Tory sleaze thread but it deserves its own:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41853561

So that's alright then.

In considering the story it's worth keeping in mind that Patel is a former lobbyist for the tobacco industry, a supporter of the death penalty and an apologist for benefit cuts that have devastated the lives of thousands of poor and disabled people.

She is completely amoral. The lowest of the low.

maxflinn and Emlin like this.
  2. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

I am sure the Foreign Secretary, a wise elder statesman, will sort this out satisfactorily.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Quite spectacularly dodgy, yet no huge surprise. Apparently both Labour and the Lib Dems suspect she is in breach of the Ministerial Code.

4. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

And a vocal Brexiter, to boot.
    (for the avoidance of doubt, some Brexiters are lovely people. Priti Patel is not in that group, IMHO.)

5. MJS

MJS Trade: Witch Hat Audio

I was in the same room with her once. Wasn't fun - she just came across as one of those people you can take an instant dislike to.

6. Still

Still gyldengourd

Now I'm really regretting using that Pritti Vacant joke a few months ago.

7. wacko

wacko pfm Member

And she claims £25,000 pa taxpayers money for the husband to 'run her office'. He has a couple of other jobs...

8. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

She laid him off a few months ago. Only after it was covered in the media, though

9. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Probably got a new scam going though.

10. Arkless Repairs

Arkless Repairs Trade: Arkless Repairs

Yep... like all tories...

It disgusts me that we even have diplomatic relations with the occupiers of Palestine. That there are, in the main parties, "friends of (the foreign occupied land of Palestine)" makes me want to vomit... It's a far right, apartheid, dry docked USA aircraft carrier manned by religious extremists basically...

maxflinn and Emlin like this.
  11. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

It gets worse. Polack is now saying that by chance he was on holiday at the same time. In Israel, that most popular holiday destination. I did not know it had turned into a Costa del Sol for the conservative party. Who'd have thought it....

12. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Lovely country, lovely people, and the only country in the area where you would feel comfortable and free to do and say what you like.

13. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Like tell stories about "my mates in Hamas" in a bar?

14. Still

Still gyldengourd

fify

15. Arkless Repairs

Arkless Repairs Trade: Arkless Repairs

.... so long as you're not actually from there.. ie Palestinian.
    I'm sure Sun City was a lovely place for white South Africans to.

maxflinn likes this.
  16. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

Patel is notoriously thick as a plank but she makes up for it in feral cunning. She'll have smelt money.

17. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

So for how many generations does your family have to have been "there"? Is an Israeli Jew whose great grandparents came from Russia in 1890 less "from there" than an Israeli Arab whose grandparents came from Egypt or Lebanon in 1920? Jewish investment "there" began in the late 19th century, attracting lots of Arabs from the surrounding area, many of whom had descendants who are today Israeli citizens. How many Jews are today citizens of Arab countries?

I grant you that the Zionist dream, and its development, to a great extent ignored the presence, and reaction, of the Arab population. But Israel is today a thriving, technologically advanced, liberal Western democracy, while the surrounding Arab countries are in a horrible mess.

From what you write it seems you think that only Israel is responsible for anything horrible in that part of the world. But I think this is by no means the case. Also, remember that there was a very substantial population, a minority but substantial, of Jews living in all the Arab countries, from Syria (of which Palestine was a province) right down to what is today Saudi Arabia, in Iraq and Persia, and all over North Africa. You can't just reduce hundreds of years of complex history to a "dry-docked aircraft carrier manned by religious extremists." Most Israelis are not at all religious. The dangerous religious extremists are elsewhere.

18. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

I did think about starting a thread for this news story earlier but I just knew it would just turn into the usual cyclic Israel arguments followed by accusations of anti semitism being thrown around.

19. Still

Still gyldengourd

Exactly - you started it!

obvious epic lack of joined up thinking is obvious

20. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

The salient point about it all is that, had Priti done the same with a country such as Russia, she'd have been sacked and facing a criminal investigation.