1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Priti Patel: Undisclosed Meetings in Israel

Discussion in 'off topic' started by droodzilla, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

to be fair Merlin, they aren’t inept. They are actually very effective at continuing the destruction of civilised society

2. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Her husband must have rung alarm bells: wears cufflinks but no tie for heavens sake. Blue check jacket with double pockets. Now why would he need more pockets ?

3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

And to those people who argue that (unlike the EU) we can always get rid of politicians we don't like, I'm all ears as to the way forward in doing so. If you'd be so kind. Thanks.

4. maxflinn

maxflinn Always Trying To Be Logical

One of the Israeli officials that Patel met: Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan talking about how Israel will use a new law to place economic sanctions on groups like Amnesty International, Coalition of Women for Peace and Boycott from Within - who all support BDS, ie, peaceful, non-violent Palestinian resistance to Israel's war crimes:

http://www.israelhayom.com/2017/11/09/bodies-facing-economic-sanctions-under-anti-bds-law-revealed/

Also, such is Israel's power in the US:

IF YOU’RE A Texan looking to rebuild in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, you’d better not boycott Israel.

That’s the message being sent by the state, which has banned any contractor who supports the Palestinian-led Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions, or BDS, campaign from receiving state funds.

If you’re confused why the two things are related, look to a bill that Texas’s Republican Gov. Greg Abbott signed into law in July. House Bill 89prohibits the state from entering into contract with a business unless it “does not boycott Israel; and will not boycott Israel during the term of the contract.” The law applies even to businesses that would refuse to buy products made in illegal Israeli settlements on Palestinian land — as it defines Israel as both Israel proper and “Israeli-controlled territory.”

https://theintercept.com/2017/10/19...actors-must-promise-they-wont-boycott-israel/

5. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

Clearly your knowledge of UK political history is shaky, to put it mildly. But then hard facts do tend to contradict any sweeping statement.

6. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Seems perfectly logical that Israel should want to impose economic sanctions on organisations that impose economic sanctions on Israel.

7. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

"Economic sanctions" here include suing activist groups and organising campaigns against foreign MPs.

maxflinn likes this.
  8. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Surely the worst assembly of corrupt and inept politicians ever to make up a "cabinet" in UK Government in the history of this nation?
    "Clearly your knowledge of UK political history is shaky, to put it mildly. But then hard facts do tend to contradict any sweeping statement."

Instances?

9. maxflinn

Right, so no hatred on Israel's part; just logic.

Why then does Israel ascribe anti-Semitism as the motivation behind the Palestinian BDS movement when, I'm sure you'll agree, it's perfectly logical to use such peaceful, non-violent means to counter illegal colonisation, oppression and Apartheid?

10. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Major's government was...well, a lot like this one. It does seem like some Tories can sense when the gig's up and go into a kind of sleaze overdrive mode. No doubt an evolutionary mechanism, helping to give these apex predators their edge.

Edit: Oh good, you can do quotes within quotes now. I'd like to point out though that the first one isn't mine.

11. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

I rather doubt it's any worse than yours Davis but I will ask you a simple question.

What have they done to benefit the Nation - or indeed to prevent the economic meltdown and social conflict now encapsulating UK society for the many?

How many have been forced to resign only to reappear?

as you are keen to defend them against their predecessors please do let us know why you rate this shambolic group of self serving crooks above others.

12. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

You mentioned economic sanctions. I explained that it is perfectly logical and justified for Israel to apply sanctions to those organisations that apply sanctions to Israel. Is that not clear enough for you, perhaps? Then you go off on one of your usual hatred rants against Israel. I think you have a problem with hatred, not Israel. Besides which, you may be aware that this thread was about the behaviour of a UK minister, not about Israel. But I expect that if it had been about a minister visiting Bulgaria you would have written "And let us not forget that only 3000 miles East-south-east of Bulgaria there is Israel....

13. maxflinn

Right, so no hatred on Israel's part; just logic.

Why then does Israel ascribe anti-Semitism as the motivation behind the Palestinian BDS movement when, I'm sure you'll agree, it's perfectly logical to use such peaceful, non-violent means to counter illegal colonisation, oppression and Apartheid?

14. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Look, Max, there's a thread about pheasant and partridge shooting. Surely you can come up with some link to an article on how Arab Israelis are not getting their fair share of shooting licences. Go on, a challenge!

15. wacko

wacko pfm Member

It is not surprising that Israel would apply sanctions, but that it controls USA domestic (and foreign of course) policy in such detail. Even disaster recovery in the USA is an opportunity for Israel to assert control and revenge. So peaceful protest is also not acceptable.

maxflinn likes this.
  16. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

Ever heard of The South Sea Bubble? If not, start by reading up on Robert Walpole, keep going for three hundred years: then take your pick.

17. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

I'm familiar with the south sea bubble.
    It's arguable whether if brexit goes through it will be more than a pimple beside this, as a government achievement.
    I'd say the SSB was more in line with 2008 banking.

18. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

It's certainly a problem when you don't like (or trust) any of them. PR might at least make us feel that a vote for one of the minority parties wasn't completely wasted. And it doesn't have to be as ridiculously complicated as the Italian model. Whether it would restore any faith in the political class is anyone's guess.

19. maxflinn

20. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

In terms of incompetent governments, take your pick from:

Lord North's government, which lost us the US colonies
    Asquith's government, which sleepwalked us into WWI
    Baldwin's government, which did nothing about Hitler's aggression

In terms of corruption, the field is even wider, Lloyd George is perhaps the most blatant example.

The present lot are admittedly a shambles, but they seem especially awful because we are so close to their antics.