1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Protective metal grille for Neumann KH310

Discussion in 'audio' started by igor_xxxx, Oct 2, 2017.

1. igor_xxxx

igor_xxxx pfm Member

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, maybe the classifieds is more appropriate, but for now I am only seeking info.

Few days ago, my midrange driver was almost destroyed from a curious child which visited us.Luckily I cought him on time before he was able to make any damage, but it got me thinking that I need to "child proof" my speakers... Especially with a small baby on the way in my house.

Since I can't relocate them somewhere where they are out of reach, the only other solution is to buy some protective metal grill.

Before I spend what I consider a ridiculous amount of money for a metal grille from Neumann, does any one have any idea for some other option besides the grille from Neumann? Getting rid of the children is not an option :)

Or if this is the go-to option, at least info if it can be bought somewhere in EU cheaper then the ~320EUR from Thomann.The price from my local dealer is even higher, ~460EUR.

Thanks.

2. DGP

DGP pfm Member

The US price for the grille from BHPhotoVideo is $220 - why is it so expensive in Europe one wonders?
    David

3. igor_xxxx

igor_xxxx pfm Member

I believe that price is per piece, if I am not mistaken.

4. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

5. igor_xxxx

igor_xxxx pfm Member

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

A friend of mine DIY'd a grille to cat-proof his speakers many, many years ago. It was inexpensive and consisted of a home-made wooden frame with a metal grille on the front. If you are of a practical bent you can make them removable, or simply attach them with rubber bands.

7. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

8. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

9. igor_xxxx

igor_xxxx pfm Member

Thanks everybody.

I contacted with some of the mentioned companies, also with a few manufacturers in my area, but unfortunately all the examples were not approved by the boss at home.

So I managed to negotiate more or less an acceptable price with my local dealer and I will order the original grilles.I still think they are a rip off, but what to say :)

10. igor_xxxx

igor_xxxx pfm Member

Just to update the thread, yesterday I received the GKH310 from my dealer, and I have to say I really like them and I am glad that I went with them.Even my wife commented that they are not “so ugly” any more.

I already had some visitors with small children, and it was much more relaxed time for me... ok not that much, but atleast I didn’t worry about the speakers :)

Few pics for anyone interested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]