1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

QUDOS - the brilliant new amplifier boards from Avondale

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by misterc6, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

Hi Alan,
    you are talking yourself into another voyager project with these new boards.

2. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

Colin with the NCC-300 boards yes ;):D Cant wait
    Alan

3. GWM

GWM Lost in the 70's

Got a package from Les this morning, a set of Qudos boards and parts to pop into my Voyager amp, some winter fun ahead.

4. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

This is sounding more interesting by the minute looks like Ill have to give Les a call ;)

Alan

5. peterm

peterm pfm Member

Don't hang around!
    I phoned Les a couple of days ago to order a pair and he's snowed under with demand for his new boards. He quoted me about 4 weeks before I get near the top of his list.
    Worth the wait going by reports so far!

Peter

6. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

They are!

LesW graciously sent me a pair of built pcbs about the time this thread started. I need to write-up, but the test amp for now is a lash-up built into an older Deltec 100S case and not pretty (but matches the socketry on my system, inc weird DPA speaker cables - so a drop-in exchange for comparison). Sounds very good :)

7. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Would you care to elaborate Martin?

8. martin clark

Yes, soon :)

9. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

Have a pair of bare pcbs here waiting to be built up and swapped into my NCC200 amp for comparison. As ever, lack of time is the enemy!

10. flashgo

flashgo DIY Practitioner

I ordered mine back in July, and am still waiting across the pond. Admittedly, there are some other goodies for the box that could be holding things up. ;)

My Qudos will be going into an old NAP 250 along with a pair of HCR200s. It'll be interesting to hear where they sound best in an active 3-way.

11. LesW

LesW Making electronics make music

Hello Folks, as some of you will know, my assistant Mike has been very ill
    the last few weeks with ascites and has lost three stones in weight during
    that time. In between hospital visits to drain off what is sometimes as much
    as 18 litres of fluid, he's been unable to produce his marvellous work in any
    quantity so supplies of populated boards have been a little scarce to say the least.

Anyway, the boards for flash and others arrived yesterday and will be winging their way early next week.

Please accept apologies for the undue delay

12. flashgo

flashgo DIY Practitioner

Best wishes to Mike!

13. martin clark

+1 to that!

14. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

+2 Get well soon Mike.

Pete

15. Pine Marten

Pine Marten pfm Member

Sorry to hear this Les. Best wishes to Mike. BTW the monoblock 110's have bedded in well and sound bloody great! So much more detail and control! My ES14's have never sounded so good! Thinking of giving some SBL's a try tho............

16. laverda

laverda pfm Member

I miss my Revelation 2's and wished I'd never sold them sometimes..great sound in a 6 pack...NCC200

17. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

I'm currently using 2x mono 110's for my Revelation 2's and was going to build myself a 6 pack of "mono 110"s based on the NCC200, to convert my Revelation 2's from passive to active.

Go to Voyager spec, I had the latest till Les upped the game again with Qudos...

700VA + the front end HCR, quite a step up from vanilla boards :D

18. grahamdocman

grahamdocman pfm Member

Hi Graham,

Sorry you "sometimes" regret selling your Rev 2's, but I assure you they are really appreciated and I listen to them almost daily. Thanks for selling them. They are a superb speaker and everyone else who has heard them appreciates just how good they are (especially SWMBO who had a few doubts till she heard them). I haven't come across anyone else who owns a pair.

I'm looking forwards to going fully active.
    What did you use for your active crossover when you had them ?
    I have thought of trying the new Nytech active crossover (set to 3.4 KHz crossover point as recommended by Les) - any thoughts ?

http://www.nytechaudioshop.co.uk/ep...bjectPath=/Shops/thjcznaw5sxv/Products/NAS009

DDD, regrettably for all sorts of reasons the voyager route isn't an option for the foreseeable future.

I'm pretty sure I'll try the QUDOS route for my 110's, but I'll wait for a bit more feedback from those who have tried and hopefully compared them to the NCC200 before a final decision.

19. laverda

laverda pfm Member

Hi Graham

Glad your still enjoying them....I used an White Noise active xover (op-amps) and found I preferred the x point to be 3k8. That was with the 6 pack not sure with a 4 pack but thats the beauty of DIY you can tweak till you get where you want to be..I built a xover for a friend using a Kevin Mount product two way xover with EQ..(see eBay) I think at the time they were £30 a board ready to go and very impressed I was too..

I'm just starting a little 4 pack active system (with a miniDSP) using the QUDOS amps. Ive spent the past few years playing with Class A amplification (A whole new world) The fact that Les has now incorporated a complementry pair and can be driven with high/er bias is just asking to be good. I did once run the NCC200s with a high bias well over 100mv but I did;nt have the right case work to get the heat away, I have now.....

20. laverda

laverda pfm Member

So the build begins.....thanks Les

NCC220

[​IMG]

Mini Cap 6

[​IMG]

I'll post some more as it comes together...