1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick decision to make....Spendor S8e or S6e for 6 x 3m room

Discussion in 'audio' started by Spenagio, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Spenagio

Spenagio pfm Member

Demoed a gorgeous pair of S8e tonight, in a very big room. Very tempted to go for them but wonder if they will work in my smaller 6 x 3m room, close to the long wall midway down the space.
    Could go for S6e, save £500 but wonder if they will have the same rich midrange.

Anyone got experience of both?!

2. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

I preferred the mid band of the 6 to the 8. The 8 has greater scale and more bass but I preferred the open, natural mid of the 6.

Spenagio likes this.
  3. rashers10

rashers10 pfm Member

Go for the 6. 8 in a smaller room is too bass heavy.
    I know because I have owned both! 6e is a great speaker.

4. eisenach

eisenach Thüringen

I had the S8e in a loft room (sloping ceilings) of similar dimensions, though an irregular shape because of the chimney. The bass wasn't a problem, but each room is different, of course. It took esl63s to make me give them up.

5. ansis

ansis pfm Member

Dunno about 8, but have 6e in much smaller room and don't regret anything. Why not check by yourself in your place?

6. Spenagio

Spenagio pfm Member

Just set up the 8's in my room. First impressions are good, bass is controlled, but only played reasonably low at the moment. Defiantly more to my taste with vocals, to get the best from them as I heard at the demo pretty sure i need to get a valve pre or go all valves.
    Thanks all for chipping in, having them in the room I can see that 6's would probably be ok too.

7. ansis

ansis pfm Member

Not necessarily valves, just good amp.

8. eisenach

eisenach Thüringen

I tried my S8es with a Primaluna Dialogue; I'd read good things on the internet with just that combination. It didn't work for me at all, especially on choral music. Not all valve amps are equal, though.

Spenagio likes this.
  9. ansis

ansis pfm Member

I use mine 6e with Densen B100, it sometimes miss some steam when I want loud, but still don't regret.

Spenagio likes this.
  10. Spenagio

Spenagio pfm Member

Mind if I ask why you use with your 6's

Doh updates just popped up. Prima Luna was one I was going to look at, based on past experience I was going to head with the safe bet of croft

11. Spenagio

Spenagio pfm Member

Did you arrive at something you were happy with?
    Sorry, meant for eisenach

12. Spenagio

Spenagio pfm Member

Should have said at the start, my room has proved a hard task for smaller speakers due to having an open staircase to the rear, obviously effects things as the space is effectively always 'open', not able to just close doors and get a reasonably well sealed space.

13. eisenach

eisenach Thüringen

I used some MF Superchargers. I tried them just as poweramps (ok) and in their intended rôle as a booster to a lower powered amp (here the Primaluna Dialogue. The input is via speaker level inputs). It worked very well, with the sweetness of valves and the power of solid-state, but was over complicated and after I got a good deal on the esl63s, it all went. I'm sure there were better ways to do it, but I'm happy with where I've ended up. Not much help; sorry !

Spenagio likes this.
  14. Spenagio

Spenagio pfm Member

Had some time in the last hour to listen properly, quite a relief to have the kind of sound I enjoy back in my room. After a frustrating few weeks Can relax and meander through tracks instead of listening intently to the same half a dozen thinking 'does that sound right?!' I can tell with the right amps and improved source will only get better...

just spotted a Croft 7r on eBay, good timing...anyone got a 25r??

15. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

Ask Robby. He had one a while back that he was thinking of swapping out.

Spenagio likes this.
  16. Spenagio

Spenagio pfm Member

What the fuck just happened?! Hit post reply and suddenly a trailer for a shit new yank superhero film filled my screen.

Not cool. I know bills have to be paid but this isn't YouTube, I treat this forum like a visual break from all that lot.

Sorry, rant over.

Oh, and back on topic, did message Robby, he's planning to keep for a while