1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Rail companies but no railway system

Discussion in 'off topic' started by slavedata, Jan 12, 2018.

1. DuncanF

DuncanF pfm Member

Sorry, but if I was planing this journey and I had a two minute window to change trains, then I'd look for a later/better connection. Inbound trains can be delayed/late for any number of reasons. Stating that this (may?) would have been a held connection under British Rail is nonsensical. BR hasn't existed for 20 years.

Linds likes this.
  2. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Remarkable 'out of the box thinking' by HMG will solve this problem by getting rid of tens of thousands of jobs in London over the next few years.

alanbeeb likes this.
  3. Still

Still gyldengourd

I disagree as this was a useful part of the BR service, so illustrates some of what we've lost.

I started commuting from Kent to London in 1989 (pre-privatisation) until the mid 1990s.
    I occasionally but regularly used the Strood - Maidstone W - Tonbridge line to connect with London bound trains, and back home again (mainly used the Ashford - Maidstone E - Victoria line).
    These connections were timed to connect (described as guaranteed in the timetable), and ime the trains were held when there were delays.
    Within a couple of years the connections were no longer guaranteed, and many of the previous connections slowly drifted until they no longer worked.

Indeed the reason I stopped commuting, and moved to London, was because rail services had degraded to the point where it was no longer practical.
    And in those circa three years my railway commute costs doubled.

4. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

If my train was scheduled to arrive at 17:42 I'd not have been expecting to make a train leaving the same station at 17:44, even if both were on time. I wouldn't have expected that when I lived in Germany either.

misterdog likes this.
  5. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

Isn't it all the trade unions' fault and doesn't privatisation keep consumer costs down?

6. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

Around London it seems to depend on which train company you have to use - some of them seem pretty decent, but colleagues who travel in from the South of London seem to get a very poor service.

My general experience with trains now (and I use them quite a bit) is that it's a hell of a lot better now than it was back in the old British Rail days (I used to travel on trains a lot in my military days and it was often a nightmare - I was even on a train down to Plymouth that got stuck due to some icing issues and arrived more than 24 hours late). I mainly use the tube and London Overground plus the main lines to places like Manchester, Leeds and Edinburgh although I did commute into central London using South Eastern for a while.

7. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Big fire at Nottingham station this morning, disgruntled passengers?

Trams past the station stopped because of the fire and a police indecent on Waverley street trams stopped.

Luckily I don't live in either direction.

Pete

8. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

Were they? In what way? Flashing blue lights ?

9. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Dam smell chequer/ dislexic brain

gintonic likes this.
  10. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

So 3 passengers wish to travel from A to B, and the whole rail network should be reconfigured to provide this ?

No one has asked me, so which 'population' and what wording was used ?

" would you like to see seating guaranteed and prices reduced for rail fares under a re-nationalised rail service ?"

(note there is no mention of who 'pays' for this given that a lunch is never free)

I would vote yes.

gintonic likes this.
  11. misterdog

How much compensation would you be prepared to pay the 00's on the Skegness train for their delay ?

gintonic likes this.
  12. zippy

zippy pfm Member

and nationalising would make it even worse. I remember nationalised railways very well, and they were dire..

13. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I remember them well too. I don't think they were worse than now.

14. Still

Still gyldengourd

Renationalising doesn't mean travelling back in time!
    When the East Coast Mainline was recently taken back in to public ownership, after a disastrous period in the private sector, it thrived.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  15. Don Atkinson

Don Atkinson pfm Member

Many, if not, most of the TOCs already ARE a foreign government entity, so it might not be JUST the British as a nation that can't run railways

16. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Carillion, lean mean private sector company about to destroy the UK economy. Will we ever learn?

17. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

I wish you would all get this. It isn't about running railways. It is about making money. And if the Private sector can't make money via their 'legendary (and mythical) efficiency and good business sense'.. they make damned sure they make it via subsidy and indefensible fares.

FFS, this is the Tory Agenda since 1979 in a nutshell and the population of this country still don't get it.

18. misterdog

Possibly Merlin could reflect on how well the nationalised state railway in Thailand could be a role model for our country ?

Though from Wiki it seems less of an ideal to aim for.

Remind anyone of the 1970's ?

19. misterdog

Maybe we should be looking at the Venezuelan model after all JC is a big fan of the country.

Or closer to home maybe the German model that is seen with such envy.

20. misterdog