1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Raspberry Pi as headless streamer

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by RichardH, Jan 16, 2013.

1. tomek

tomek pfm Member

I have the new Pi 3 and with new piCoreplayer the sound is better, than with Pi B 2.
    Bits are bits.
    Maybe it is all about clock and stream regularity. More powerfull Pi can deliver a more regular data stream ? When playing 24/96 cpu load is 0,1% ...

2. Royd Audio

Royd Audio Trade: Royd Audio

Greg, any chance piCore is going to add AP mode so that adding the Pi to a home WiFi network and setup no longer requires ethernet but can just use the on board WiFi of Pi3?

3. Bemused

Bemused What's this all about then?

Need a Pi3 here then.

4. Greg Erskine

Greg Erskine pfm Member

Hi Royd Audio,

There are couple of methods for doing this already.

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/how-to-1

Scroll down to SETUP of Raspberry Pi A+.
    The same applies for A RPI3B.

AP has been investigated but not proceeding at this time. It *may* be added as an option but probably not part of the initial image.

regards
    Greg

5. Royd Audio

Royd Audio Trade: Royd Audio

Thanks Greg, I'll check that out. Shame about AP as it just makes a neat and tidy solution but appreciate the development cost implementing it.

6. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

I've stuck my toe into the world of the PI for music streaming, and it was painless.

I was using a squeezebox Touch, now migrated to the living room, with a NAP160 and a pair of Rega Kytes (nice!). I replaced it with a Pi3, a HIFIBerry Digi+ feeding a Dactilus 2 DAC. It was simple to download and flash piCorePlayer on to an 8Gb SD Card, set up wifi, point the piCorePlayer at the Digi+ board and I have a great streamer for stored music (on a Synology NAS) and Spotify. Seriously impressed and sounds pretty good to boot.

Just need to sort a non-steel case out for the Pi and the Digi+ now.

Thank you to all on the thread for inspiring me to setting this up.

7. Greg Erskine

Greg Erskine pfm Member

Hi chilly,

I am happy the piCorePlayer install was easy.

It's a great feeling getting music to come out of this little computer and I think it sounds better than is should!

regards

8. tomek

tomek pfm Member

Oh, yes it sounds much better, than it should. A nightmare for many hifi companies ...

9. CarrotMan

CarrotMan pfm Member

10. tomek

tomek pfm Member

11. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Just note that those tweaks are with tongue firmly in cheek...

12. chiily

13. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

Just bought a PI3 ;)
    What Dac shoud I buy ?
    What music player should I buy to play my Flac files from my NAS ?

Alan

14. Werner

Werner pfm Member

Volumio or Moode.

Volumio is in a bit of a flux, leaving 1.5 behind and moving to version 2 (with a host of fresh bugs; Pi seems OKish, the situation for Cubox, though, is dire since iOS10 broke the Volumio control webapp).

Moode seems more stable at the moment.

15. tomek

tomek pfm Member

piCorePlayer :)

16. Werner

Werner pfm Member

I tried. But whether running LMS on the Pi or on the NAS, it refused to find my music files.

17. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

I use both PiCorePlayer, and Max2Play - they both have pro's and cons. I do run LMS and Squeezelite on one Pi, which works, but I do have some issues with ticking noises when running squeezelite and other players at the same time. Not really got to the bottom of it, but there is a new release of PiCorePlater out this week, so I'll be doing a re-install at the weekend. Max2play is useful if you use a DAC or amp that attaches to the Pi, as they have built in support for all the popular ones - I use a HiFiBerry Amp+ for my battery powered garden system with Max2Play and it works really well.

As I'm a Squeezebox user, I've not tried Volumio and the others, but a friend has and has been happy with the results.

As for DAC - PiCorePlayer has a page of various DACs and the required settings, but some of the DACs that attach to the Pi are remarkably good, and have the advantage of I2S connection thus avoiding SPDIF and clocking issues. You'd have to spend quiet a lot of money on a standalone DAC to get an obvious advantage. Obviously if you have more than one source, then a DAC/Pre would be a good choice - I use an MDAC.

18. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

if you want help to resolve (or not) your problem, a lot more detail is required ;)

19. chiily

Just bought an IQAudIO DAC+ to try on my PI3 streamer. The DAC gets good reviews, so we'll see...

20. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased