1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Raspberry Pi as headless streamer

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by RichardH, Jan 16, 2013.

1. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

Chiily, DAC+ is excellent, gives a refurbed MDAC running on CCA more than a run for its money. I have it fronting a nice Naim set up at present.

RUNE? Tried all day today to get the buggering bugger to work. Over written now and back with Ipcore/LMS.

2. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

Well, I'm looking forward to it. I have a HIFIBerry Digi+ running into a Heed Dactilus 2 atm. The Dactilus is a little soft sounding compared to vinyl. I'm hoping the IQAudIO DAC+ will sharpen the sound a little.

Once the IQAudIO DAC+ arrives I'll have the Dactilus and HIFI Berry DIGI+ to sell I hope.

I have a PI2 running piCorePlayer providing the LMS for two other PI3s, running again piCorePlayer and a Squeezebox Touch. I'm convinced I managed to get Tidal working on it through LMS. You have to go to http://mysqueezebox.com login and add Tidal from the apps list. Add your Tidal login details and away you go.

I've not tried Rune, but from what I've read I can't see how it would support Spotify or the Touch; maybe I missed something on the website.

3. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

I've got Tidal running sweet through LMS @16/44.1 in FLAC. If I can manage it you will find it a doddle:D

4. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

Looking good...

[​IMG]

No time for serious listening yet. Thought I have noticed that the red light on the Pi blinks indicating not enough juice from the PSU. Time to build a linear supply..

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017 at 7:16 PM
  5. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

If you are short on power/current, a smps might be a better solution.

6. tomek

tomek pfm Member

Pi3 with Hifiberry Dac+ Pro and original Raspberry switched ps sounds absolutely great.
    I just can't belive, how good the sound is. Dac+ Pro with two clocks is a great bargain.
    If you use squeezelite, than try to set:

squeezelite priority 75

and buffer 50000:800000

In this way track are played from RAM.

Pi3 with Dac+ Pro is like Nad 3020 35 years ago.

7. bennyboyph

bennyboyph pfm Member

8. tomek

tomek pfm Member

Yes, i am using underclocking. IMHO sounds better, but everybody should make own tests.
    With underclocking power supply has to deliver less current, is less stressed and different parts in Pi are more "relaxed".

I am using picoreplayer and with my own script i am stopping all non audio related services few minutes after boot.

9. Julf

Isn't there a risk that the music gets a bit slow? :)

10. Julf

11. tomek

tomek pfm Member

:D :D :D

12. tomek

tomek pfm Member

Raspberry Pi 3 powered by diy ps with superteddyreg + Hifiberry Dac+ Pro powered by 4 aa batterries sounds better than my Pi with Buffalo. Absolutely crazy.

Is it all about clocks (dac+ pro has two very good clocks) and power supply ???

13. tomek

tomek pfm Member

I have built a new streamer. After reading endless discussions on diyaudio i did this:

Raspberry Pi3 with Hifiberry Dac+ Pro with three power supplies:

1. iFi ps for Pi, connected directly to GPIO pins 6 (gnd) and 2 (+)

2. 3.3V ps with LT3042 for clocks and the digital part of DAC + pro connected to pins 20 (gnd) and 1 and 17 for (+). You have to bent PI3 pins 1 and 17 on gpio header, than DAC will not get 3.3V from Pi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LT3042-400mA-DAC-power-supply-xmos-/122344995546

3. 3.3V ps with TPSA4700 for the analogue part of DAC + pro. You have to remove R14, than DAC will not get 5V from Pi and then connect the + on the output leg of 3.3V reg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TPS7A4700-U...322400?hash=item3aca406aa0:g:VEIAAOSwSlBYts6j

One 50VA 2x6V transformer for ps 2 and 3.

I have changed caps C7/C8 after PCM1522 for Digikey P/N PCF1457CT-ND Panasonic ECH-U1C222GX5. SMD parts are nightmare.

SQ is phantastic. I also tried Volumio instead of my beloved picoreplayer and IMHO it sounds much less digital and just overall better, than pcp ...
    No more server, i connected hd directly to Pi.

I will post some pics and details later.

14. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

I prefer the sound with the Pi supplied by the micro USB. I realise this is counter intuitive becuase the protection circuits ought to increase supply impedance, but my ears tell me otherwise.

15. Greg Erskine

Greg Erskine pfm Member

16. tomek

tomek pfm Member

I am testing different players for Pi. Is there one android control app for moode player ?

17. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

Don't know of one.

Chrome browser lets you set a short-cut in the desktop, or use a UPnP thingy.

Ronnie

18. tomek

tomek pfm Member

In the last 10 days i tested picoreplayer, volumio and moode player.

Number 1 for sound quality - moode audio player (with LL kernel and fifo option for mpd).

Number 1 for simplicity - volumio
    just connect your hd with music library to pi, insert sd card and boot. Nice android app.

Number 1 for comfort and functionality - picoreplayer
    great Squeezebox alternative with a lot of features because of Logitech Media sever.

I need sound quality of moode player, volumio simplicity and picoreplayer possibilities ...

:)

19. s1h1

s1h1 performing within expectations

Is there a trial version of Moode? The only download I can find needs a password to unzip.

20. tomek

tomek pfm Member

It costs 10 USD, but IMHO it is really worth it.