1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Record Shops RIP ...................................

Discussion in 'music' started by dss, Apr 11, 2006.

1. kjb

kjb Losing my edge

On large and small scale - the Brick Lane Rough Trade does exactly this as does Truck Records in Oxford. Both also have live music throughout the week. The shops that are thriving are becoming more and more diverse in what they offer. I've been nagging our hi hi store to follow suit - I've no idea why they don't sell vinyl as turntables are their boom business.

2. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

Is that like, errmmm, an "Amsterdam coffee shop"?? :cool:

3. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

4. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

I went there in the 90's, got all of Johnny Cash's American series up to 1V amongst many others across a few genres, great shop and recommended.

Bloss

5. abbydog

abbydog pfm Member

Incredible, isn't it. Even when you beg them to stock vinyl so you can buy it they won't do it. You'd think the audiophile labels would be a shoo in and they wouldn't need to rack thousands. I do not believe they are interested in footfall or sales of less than £5k any longer.

Even coffee shops will sell you a mug and/or some beans FFS.

6. mmaatt

mmaatt pfm Member

The Amsterdam shop sounds great, but adding a Costas or Nero would put me off going there. We have now reached the ridiculous extreme where what was once the Odeon is now a front for Jerry's ice cream.

mat

7. mmaatt

mmaatt pfm Member

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out sometime soon.

mat

8. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

If you are in Amsterdam, this one is great-

[​IMG]

9. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I think this is Rough Trade's business model in Brick Lane - there always seems to be more people hanging out drinking their coffee than flicking through records!

See also Coffee & Vinyl in Antwerp: http://www.coffeeandvinyl.com/en/

10. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

I would second that - Alan's is the only record shop I regularly go to in London. Great range of music and very sensible prices.

11. mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir pfm Member

Wanted Music in Beckenham and Rollin Records in West Wickham (Thurs, Fri and Sat) still open.

12. binsey

binsey pfm Member

One just opened in Carlisle on Abbey Street( Next to Cathedral up from Peter Tysons Hifi shop).

13. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

From their web-site...

"OUR SHOP at 151 LONDON ROAD, CAMBERLEY, WILL BE CLOSING ON 15TH OCTOBER 2016
    TRADING WILL CONTINUE AT A NEW LOCATION (TO BE ADVISED), BUT BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
    OUR ONLINE WEBSITE WILL CONTINUE TO BE IN OPERATION at WWW.ROCKBOX.CO.UK
    FUTURE NEWS WILL BE UPDATED ON THAT WEBSITE, and ALSO ON FACEBOOK at https://www.facebook.com/rockboxcouk/
    WE APOLOGISE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY CAUSE. PLEASE ASK OUR STAFF IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS."

p.s. sorry about the shouting, the quote is just a copy and paste job :)

14. guey

guey pfm Member

Was about to post that - I think Ken has had enough (not that he's there much anyway).
    It's a shame, as I've been going there pretty much since it opened 29 yeas ago.

15. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

16. Mikeandvan

Mikeandvan Banned

The trouble with used record shops and competition they face from Ebay is that many of them are ran by *****, who'll only pay shit money for your used vinyl, good riddance to these ****wits!! Shops selling dance music (techno) were often ran by complete dick heads, oh yes, they were the worst. I remember some place in Soho, gave me rubbish money for a rare and collectible house 12", only found out years later, as I said good riddance to these slimy ****wits, now we can sell our used vinyl to each other, without some middle man. On the other side! Will miss all the used record shops, ran by decent guys!! There's actually a few here in Brighton, shame Borderline has gone, that used to get all the psych/60s stuff, bit of a legend. Still got Across the Tracks, who get the odd nice item in, and is ran by a couple of lovey guys.

17. colinp

colinp pfm Member

18. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Bournemouth? 78s only then?

19. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Cracker

Bloss

20. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

It appears Harold Moores in Soho has closed for good as a result of rent being doubled.

I believe it was the last proper independent classical music shop in London.

I've been visiting it for a long while because of the good jazz vinyl section downstairs. I'm going to miss it.

[​IMG]