1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Rega Cart ID

Discussion in 'audio' started by stevec67, Nov 11, 2017 at 12:09 PM.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I have a blue Rega cart in my bits box, it came off a P3 of 90s vintage. There is no model name, anyone know which one it is? IIRC the Bias was green (?).

2. PerF

PerF Private

Steve, the recent Elys is blue
    Not sure if the old one were purple or blue though

3. djftw

djftw Heterodox Member

I think the blue would make it most likely an original Elys, possibly a Super Elys going by the vintage. My SuperBias of 2000 vintage was Red...

4. djftw

djftw Heterodox Member

Actually, make that more probably a SuperElys, now I think about it the original Elys was purple...

5. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

So remind me, the Bias was about £35 or so in the 90's, the Elys twice that or so? That would fit with it coming off a P3. The P3 in question was the bright green version and sounded very tidy, came out of Leeds Classifieds and after I'd played with it for a bit it went to a mate who for whatever reason didn't get on with the cart, so I swapped it for some generic MM that I had in the bits box. I may use the Rega cart to resurrect a Dual 505 I've repaired.

Super Elys, better still. Don't remember that one.

Edit - browsing the net suggests the Elys 2 was blue, dunno about the super.

6. smoking-rob

smoking-rob pfm Member

The original Elys was grey

7. Tim Jones

Tim Jones pfm Member

Correct Rob. Don't remember a blue one.

90s Rega carts:

Bias was green
    Super Bias was red
    Elys was grey
    Exact was yellow.

8. Robert

Robert Tapehead

Original Elys was grey, then it went purple, then blue as the 'super' Elys and currently blue as the Elys 2.

9. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

Move over rookies! The grey was RB100 which replaced the first Rega branded Japanese made R100. The "B" indicating British made.

Craig

Robert likes this.
  10. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

Correct. First Rega 'made' cartridge was the Grey RB100.

I remember we were sent 3 to try out along with a torque wrench, which I still use. First one tried had no left channel, second had no right and the third was perfect. I phoned Roy and he said "well done. You are the only UK dealer to listen to them". Never really sure if that was quick thinking on his part, or true.

Robert likes this.
  11. Craig B

Hey Steve, I've turned around a lot of Duals but haven't yet tried a Rega cartridge on any.
    Please do give it a go and report back here after you've recovered.

Craig

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

OK. I plan to sell the thing, I've discovered a cheap and cheerful QLM that will do the job, and I have a Linn K5 (AudioTechnica in a party frock at 2x the price, but they didn't tell us that in the 90's) that I could use also, but the Rega is floating about so I'll give it a run out and report back. The 505 arm is decent enough, more than up to the task of swinging a MM, I'm very sure.

13. Craig B

Assuming the tip and/or suspension isn't shagged, the ADC will work beautifully on a 505, even if the table is a -1 version with the last of the old cartridge mounting brackets on.