1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Revisiting the Zeta

Discussion in 'classic' started by TPA, Nov 1, 2017.

1. TPA

TPA Trade: Tiger Paw

Some interesting comments here. I haven't tried it with the original counterweight because I had the option of using one of our own decoupled counterweights, and my experience when developing the original skale weight was very very clearly a negative when it came to direct coupling the weight to the arm. But... that was with Linn arms, and I really should keep a more open mind so might have a comparison later in the week.

One of the areas that I really appreciate is how it deals with higher frequencies, cymbals and sibilance. They're not accentuated in the way that many other arms can be, but it's not dull in any way, and there's nothing missing in terms of detail. I'm thinking that some arms that are trying to achieve rigidity and detail recovery are shifting the resonances in to that area.

2. user510

user510 Member

The plinth is solid Pennsylvania slate. Two 2-inch slabs stacked one over the other. No mushrooms. The idea, when using a heavy slate plinth is to get a close tight coupling between the TD124 chassis and the slate. In my experience so far, the slate, as pictured gives a much quieter running TD124 than any other pinth I've tried to date.

I have tried a few different styled plinths. With fresh mushrooms and without.
    Link here to some of my trials with alternate plinth designs...
    http://www.theanalogdept.com/sc_plinths.htm

I'll try a few others as well.
    I can say that for the TD124 there are some good reasons to use mushrooms in an open box design...but the snr really is lower in the slate according to my subjective experiences, etc.

3. user510

user510 Member

When I first heard this arm, and it was on one of my TD124's, I was impressed with how the arm seemed to get out of the way of the energetic flow of the music, in general terms. Other words...good visceral delivery in all frequencies. I did note that the upper frequencies were cleanly defined and prominent. But not out of proportion to the other frequencies.

Previously on that player I had been using a modified RB250 arm. And the Zeta seemed to be in a league or two higher. So I felt. And still do.

I have yet to disassemble this tonearm since I can't say that there is any reason for me to. The Incognito wires are the same guage from clips to plug.

I hear that the anti-skate mechanism is a bugger to correctly reassemble. At least I've read that around the web. (might have been on a thread at diy audio). So I'm lucky.

I would likely use this tonearm with a higher quality MC cartridge some time in the future. But for now I'm stuck with the DL103R pictured. I could imagine using one of the lesser Koetsu's on that deck and arm. A romantic sounding cartridge used on a romantic sounding deck. Should be a good match. Or I wonder if it would.
    -Steve

4. Old Valve Git

Old Valve Git pfm Member

Nice one 510 - always liked the Zeta.