1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Richard Strauss Four Last Songs

Discussion in 'classical' started by gustavm, Oct 8, 2015.

1. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

And they are difficult to pull off successfully. We have so many technically great recordings of them, not least the recording you link to, you can get lulled into a false sense of security, and in the wrong hands, live.....

3. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

That Jessye Norman recording was the first CD I ever bought.

Wonderful voice that could pin you to the wall when needed.

4. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

5. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

Susan Gritton can certainly sing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObD7yCavg08

I've never heard the Suffolk Philharmonic or conductor Leslie Olive though.

6. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Can be disappointing live. But then again, so can much music. The 4 last songs spoil you with recordings which is sad in a way.

Maybe we should have a thread about pieces so perfectly nailed in recording, that they're usually a bit of a let-down in reality.

7. narabdela

narabdela who?

I think the last of the songs ranks as one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

My favourite recording Karita Mattila's with Abbado and the Berlin Phiharmoniker

8. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Soile Isokoski, Marek Janowski, RSO Berlin for me.

9. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

As a veteran of 30 odd years of live performances by the choral society of a large midlands town I can say that even when the performance is quite poor the live event often overcomes the shortcomings and an enjoyable evening can often (not always) be had. The same does not apply to broadcast concerts, a poor performance is a poor performance and I often switch to a good recording rather than endure the whole of a bad broadcast.

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

11. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

I have that recording as well, but still prefer the one I linked to earlier (Jessye Norman), but its all down to personal taste. Nowadays I do like to listen to different versions of most things, as you often appreciate different aspects in different performances. That's what Spotify is for I think......

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I need to hear the Jessye Norman recording, I don't think I've heard it (Four Last Songs is something I'd tend to spin if it landed in the shop).

13. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

I think I have more versions of this piece of music than anything else. My favourite has to be Gundula Janowitz with Karajan.

14. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

One version is never enough, no matter how good!

15. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

Got that one too. But I find the tempo in "Im Abendrot" to be too fast for my taste:

Masur/Norman: 9:54
    Szell/Schwarzkopf: 8:20
    Karajan/Janowitz: 7:04

16. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

A beautiful recording with the finest Strauss conductor IMO. Her voice just soars.

17. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Absolutely. One of my desert island discs for sure.

18. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Jessye and Schwarzkopf are my #1 and 2. A few linked to here that I need to check out. Gundula Janowitz doesn't do it for me but she has a wonderful voice.

The first time I heard the Norman recording I was hooked.

19. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

20. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

I've grown up with these recordings. Norman is opulent but I find the orchestral accompaniment fairly pedestrian.Schwarzkopf is an all time classic but I find her too cool and mannered, though I love Szell in anything. The Janowitz just seems so right. Her voice blends so naturally and beautifully folding into the orchestra and her interpretation is heartfelt and unfussy. The conductor and singer appear perfectly in sync.