1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Richard Strauss Four Last Songs

Discussion in 'classical' started by gustavm, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Music freak

Music freak pfm Member

I read once - back in their hey-day , where W.R.C stated that they used new pressing stampers (-issued & provided by the record companies owning the original copyrights of performances )only up to a limit of manufacturing about 350 vinyl pressings., Whereas they stated - main companies (when pressing their own copies) were known to go as far as making 500 copies and more from any single pressing stamper.
    This, possibly explains the situation , you once uncounted.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I suspect you have missed a zero off there! A stamper set can be good for 5000 pressings IIRC.

3. Music freak

Music freak pfm Member

Decades ago, when friends gathered for a classical opera 'jam session', often one or two of the males would do their
    'party trick' and reduce others -present, to laughter.
    A favorite , clasping their chest & stomach momentarily for 'added vocal support'....and -mimicking : letting out 'the said diva's synonymous clasped backside 'cat -scratch howls' .
    To the sharp critical eye: it was equally fascinating to observe the
    Legge visual 'transformation of 'Dame Elizabeth...from someone looking like a frump house frau...(at the very same time period)then identically copying the then newly invented windswept bouffant hairstyle & look , 'the 60's mature glamor image ' created for the popular -song concert artist / entertainer & film star . Marlene Dietrich :D.

To have seen live - Jessye Norman at her very peak , perform Strauss' 4 Last Songs , , with the Closing Scene from Strauss Capriccio is my benchmark.

Many a renowned Strauss diva attempts the "4 Songs'" (for example-recently) such as Renee Fleming... though through she do not vocally falter and I admire her to a great deal..i concede .her recent excursion (Decca) shows her late 50's voice is not now suited to the texture of this particular material.

4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I can tell you Schwarzkopf is, or rather was every bit as imposing in the flesh as her reputation. I was introduced to her at a reception at the ROH in the 80's. I was in my 20's and it felt like you were meeting Brenda. It was certainly the first time I'd met a prominent member of the Nazi Party.

5. Music freak

Music freak pfm Member

Your comment recalls one, I heard from a often much World -travelled music enthusiast & academic who noted during one Concert, Schwarzkopf gave , he was shocked to witness ..at the end of singing a Prussian themed song ...'things got the better of her'. On the final musical note, she raised her arm and gave a swift but unmistakeable Nazi salute.

6. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Personally I'd rather see a video of this episode before I decide to be shocked :rolleyes:

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I must admit I didn't know about Schwarzkopf's remarkably dubious past. Nazi connections seem to have blighted the careers of quite a few landmark classical musicians. I guess there is an argument some had to go along with it just to survive, it was after all a dictatorship, but some such as Schwarzkopf seemed to go the extra mile.

8. TheDecameron

She apparently enjoyed the favours of a significant Gauleiter. My favourite quote about her was from Charles Mackerras- his daughters came into the studio one day when he was recording with her and she said to him "I see your girls don't curtsy".

9. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Wow, that's fantastic. I never warmed to her as a singer, though there's no question she was a great one. Just not to my taste. I remember she once wrote a letter to Gramophone complaining that one of the critics had praised her intelligence rather than her singing.

10. Buntobox

Buntobox Well-Known Member

Agreed. Janowitz's voice is bell-like angelic perfection.

11. Gerontius

Gerontius Forever dreaming...

Nobody has mentioned Renee Fleming. I bought her recording of these songs, conducted by Eschenbach, a few years ago and found it rather disappointing. It is a full-blooded and expressive performance, but there is too much vibrato and to me that is a distraction.

I agree with many others here, Janowitz or Schwarzkopf.

12. TheDecameron