1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Roger Waters Is This The Life We Really Want?

Discussion in 'music' started by Barry williams, May 31, 2017.

1. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

The CD is clipped at 50% fullscale? If so a serious mistake

2. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

No, I reduced the CD level by -5dBs to make the pale blue section comparable in level to the vinyl rip as I find this makes it easier to see how much range has been lost from the peaks (dark blue section).

3. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Been listening to this quite a bit on Tidal. SQ is average at best and although there's nothing wrong with it, there's no question Waters has run out of ideas as it's pretty much a compendium of all the sounds, effects, noises, barking dogs and riffs he's employed before.

I'm big Waters/Floyd fan but I won't be buying this. I'd love to see him though.

4. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

it's good but it's not as good as amused to death IMHO,,it just has not got the power and grandiose of amused,

5. ACM

ACM Vinyl Junkie

This. I am (was?) a massive fan of the Floyd, and was firmly in the Waters camp after they split.

However...after a gap of 25 years, and with the involvement of Radiohead's producer, I was really hoping for something a lot more interesting. Musically, it's really rather dull - just goes to show how much Waters depended on Gilmour & Wright for the Floyd sound.

When you think about it, with each and every album from Dark Side onwards, the balance between music and lyrics has slowly but surely tilted in favour of the lyrics. This new album is simply the logical conclusion of that progression: all words and almost no music.

Of course, despite all the above, I'll still be going to see the live show ;)

6. Farthings cat

Farthings cat pfm Member

The vinyl sounds fantastic (much better than cd) and the album is a real grower. The lyrics are "Roger" and I like the overall sound. Each to their own but this has been on my play list since release - fantastic record.
    Gary

7. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

I have been underwhelmed by this one too.

8. evand

evand pfm Member

My HR version looks nothing like the cd waveform shown above, it's not heavily compressed but rather a typical Waters release where SQ is a priority.

9. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Is it any cop on the musical front? My CD copy is stuck in the holiday luggage.:(

10. iiyama

iiyama pfm Member

I'm disappointed by the SQ and by the music itself.

I've read on other forums that the HR was sourced from the mastered for iTunes rather than the same as the CD.

I admire waters for making this album and particularly the subject matter but I find the album dull. But when I compare the 24/48 "Is This the Life We Really Want?" with the 24/192 "Amused to Death" I must confess, that the much more older album is not only more interesting musically, it is far better on a sonic level. More precise, more air, more soundstage. Maybe, we will see a in a view years a new real HiRes

11. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

On an initial listen l have to agree, track 4 'picture that' l actually thought l was listening to 'Sheep':D, and some of WYWH...l have to ask why is he so blooming angry?:rolleyes:

12. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

Waters has always been angry...really really angry. I met him once in Dublin and what a gent....kind of took me by surprise as I was expecting a wizened grumpy old fart. Snowy White was playing lead for him at the time and told me Roger was a laugh a minute and regularly drank them all under the table. There you go then.

As for the new album, Waters and Floyd have always been self referential with little nods back and indeed forward in time to their different records. I thought this album run of the mill on first listen but I have found it to be a real grower....Stick with it and see.

13. iiyama

iiyama pfm Member

I like the fact he is angry and wish more musicians were! It's just that I find the new album bland on Intial listening. I do admire him for at least writing and recording new material.
    I will give it another go though.

14. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

I spent some of this eve listening to the 24/48 HD version.....I got a headache....this may not be music related but I rarely get headaches.

The vinyl still sounds grand.

15. dbz

dbz pfm Member

..and as if to prove that theory, Floyd's last album, The Endless River, was almost entirely music with no lyrics ;)

16. BJP

BJP Optimistic Utopian

It's really grown on me as I knew it would , I wish he'd made a couple more in the last 25 years as he solo works are my favourite albums . Quality before quantity I suppose.

17. GaryT

GaryT pfm Member

And the 2 studio albums previous to that had lyrics mostly from outsiders.

18. Robby

Robby pfm Member

I have listened to the album a few times. Was very underwhelmed on the first listen. A couple of listens later and I think it a superb album that hangs together well enough to listen all the way through.

I like the fact he is angry - it's a refreshing change to be honest from the vacuous shite that most artists both young and old churn out these days.

At least he speaks his mind on a variety of issues with little thought, seemingly, of the ensuing controversy an the potential impact on sales.

19. Robby

Robby pfm Member

Are we taking Floyd or Waters albums?

20. suzywong

suzywong The Man who had no Naim

It was bought for me as a birthday present. It's OK, and certainly has grown on me, but there's nothing new.......sampled speaking clock, liberal use of the F word which really doesn't add anything, morose lyrics, etc.

I suppose the question is: if I hadn't received it as a gift, would I have gone out and bought it? The answer, sadly, is No.