1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Royal Northern College Of Music

Discussion in 'classical' started by Tony L, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

A thread to plug the ever wonderful RNCM. There are a surprising number of free concerts in their calendar, a lot taking place in the day time, so easy enough to tie in with some shopping in Manchester or whatever. Today I went to see pianist Graham Scott, who I suspect is a staff musician, lecturer or whatever playing pieces from Berg, Chopin and a new piece by a chap called Adam Gorb who was present and gave a brief introduction (the piece was very good IMO). A superb performance in a really nice smallish hall within the RHCM complex with great acoustics. I managed to bag a seat close to centre in the second row, so nice and close. I find it amazing that music of this quality can be had for free and I plan to make the most of it from now on. Great from an audio geek perspective to sit around twelve feet away from a superbly played, perfectly tuned and absolutely spotless Steinway grand in a good acoustic space. It certainly provides a benchmark!

RNCM Events.

2. Martin D

Martin D Libertarian Division

Sounds to me like forget the shopping and go!

3. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I haven't been for about 20 years! I live in Plymouth now, but I will always remember a concert of 9 or 10 double basses. Just double basses!
    EDIT: Forsyth's on Deansgate used to do a free piano recital on Monday, at lunch time. If they still do those they are worth going to.

4. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Just across the road from the RNCM is the Martin Harris Centre.
    The Manchester University Music Society put on some excellent performances. If not free they cost a pittance. I have particularly enjoyed the consistently high quality of the vocal ensemble, Ad Solem, over the years.

http://www.martinharriscentre.manchester.ac.uk/

5. mudlark

mudlark nearly half a clue

RNCM - One of the staff was brought up on Nytech and good audio. May have helped good buildings there. Good musicians need good buildings.

6. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

The RNCM has produced some great pianists- Hough, Donohoe and Osborne among them. Not to mention the late, great John Ogden.
    You are right Tony- quite a shock sitting close to the real instrument and a grim disappointment to listen to the same piece on yer Hifi when you get back home- with some systems, it might as well be someone tap dancing Chopin over the phone.

[​IMG]
    Heres Ogden jointly winning the Tchaikovsky completion with Ashkenazy. The friendly little chap standing next to Ogden was about to almost spark World War 3 at the time the photo was taken.

7. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

What, JFK? :D

8. Jo Sharp

Jo Sharp Pulls on doors marked push

My aunt, Honor Sheppard, taught singing there for many years; she was made a Fellow in 2005. For much of her career she sang with the Deller Consort.

9. Bob McC

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

[​IMG]

I went to the £5 Rite Of Spring tonight. A bargain as predicted. Two other pieces on the bill; a rather wonderful work by Messian, Les Offrandes Oubilees, that I really must buy, and Martinu’s Rhapsody Concerto for Viola. I’d booked very early so bagged front row centre, about 8’ behind the conductor. Very loud but great fun. I took the slightly wonky iPhone panorama before the conductor came out, hence absense (I wanted to have the phone off and back in my pocket before it started).

PS Anyone who says this stuff doesn’t produce a stereo image really is talking bollocks!

11. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Great thanks for the heads up! There are some great performances listed there! Lot of recitals on Monday too when i'm not working.

I need to get the train into town and have a listen to some of the programs. I sometimes used to work quite close to Saint Martin in the Fields, i'd often pop in during the day to have a listen to some of the rehearsals, when there was a young ensemble playing they'd often have have an exuberance and energy to their playing that was sometimes perhaps missing in older performers!

Another good idea is take someone with you who's never heard any live classical music performances, i remember sitting with my friend in St Martin's who'd never been to a performance of classical music in his life, when i looked at him during the playing he was visibly moved, he couldn't believe how beautiful the sound was.

12. herb

herb music live

It looks as though you were in the prime seat! Glad you enjoyed it, there is nothing like a live performance. In my experience watching the performers is vital for 'stereo image' though, their interplay is visual.....

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Agreed, but I was at least as able to pin-point who was playing what bit by ear as by eye. The sound really does come from the specific instrument even in such a dense soundscape. Obviously hard to pick out a single violin in the string section when all playing, but anything solo comes from exactly where it looks to come from and vice versa. Stating the obvious here, but I have read a lot of nonsense here from people saying live music doesn’t image. Bad rock PAs etc may not,, but acoustic music certainly does.

14. Bob McC

I shall be there in December for John Bramwell.
    It isn’t just classical music it lays on.
    I have also booked for their annual Opera production as well.
    This year it is Massenet’s Cendrillon.
    Every year the students put on an outrageously excellent Opera.

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Indeed, I saw Magma there!

16. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I was having a pint or two with two friends last night, and asked them, as you do, if they'd been anywhere this week. Turns out they'd been at the same concert.

17. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Totally agree - I tend to discount this as coming from people who have never heard non-amplified classical music in a good concert hall (either that or they don't listen too carefully). Obviously, the closer you are to the orchestra the easier it is to localize groups of instruments or even individual players. In complex music, it does provide extra clues that help to follow the different parts of music being played.

18. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

The violins in the first row are the ones most likely to get all the notes right!