1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I splash the cash on a Goldpoint?

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by chiily, Aug 22, 2017.

1. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

I've been reading plenty of threads on PFM about the quality of Goldpoint stepped attenuators. Plenty have replaces the ALPS devices in Naim NACs and a few other stepped attenuators, for example the Valab (current thread in DIY).

My B4 has a 50k Noble pot and it sounds pretty good to me. Would replacing it with a 25k, V24 Goldpoint be worth it? The Goldpoint is a lot of cash afterall.

2. sam_cat

sam_cat ʇɐɔ_ɯɐs

3. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

My experience with Valab and Goldpoint is that both sound better than a pot and the Goldpoint is better made better sounding more useable than the Valab.

My Valab started to feel looser and started to make more noise when switching as it got older.

Ultimately you are going to end up with the Glodpoint, don't resist, you know you will succumb ;) :D

Pete

4. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

The Goldpoint I'd the best switched attenuator out there for sensible money. I'd put one in any pre. I'm about to add a pair to a Paradise as a cartridge loading solution.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The thing I'm a little skeptical with the Goldpoint is, as I understand it, they add resistors to attenuate, i.e. the more attenuation the more resistors you have in circuit. This being how the little Tisbury passive works, and whilst that is a lovely product for the money my Audio Synthesis PAS-02 was very obviously better to my ears. I've since beaten that with an AS Passion which is a shunt attenuator rather than a ladder too. Whilst all these things are very good, including a little TKD pot I built into a tupperware container with just one in/out, I'm surprised by how much difference exists between them.

6. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

It's the contact and resistor quality that makes the Goldpoint.

7. bugbear

bugbear pfm Member

Easy cheap experiment; measure your Noble at some setting you use a lot.

Make a fixed voltage divider at this setting out of two high quality resistors,
    and try this. This (surely...) is the upper quality bound.

If you like it, consider switching(*) out your Noble.

BugBear

(*) no pun intended.

8. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

Si the goldpoint is built on a 24 point Elma switch, I agree they are excellent
    I have a 25K golpoint stepped attenuator with an Ema 6 way switch in my pre amp.

[​IMG]IMG_2375 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan

9. chiily

10. 337alant

11. flashgo

flashgo DIY Practitioner

I'm a BIG Goldpoint fan. The difference is not subtle, and to my mind, it's one of the most effective upgrades that can be made to a pre-amp. I've purchased the Goldpoints directly from Arn, but now I get them from Elma because they have more options, like the 47 step series and the X4 Audio series with a Hall-Effect rotary (and remote-able) switch connected to relays for up to 64 positions. I have one waiting for my next pre-amp project. Elma support is excellent

The Elma site is a little funky right now. But the PDF downloads seem to be working:
    X4 Audio: http://www.elma.com/-/media/product...tions/datasheets/us-rs-x4-audio-series-d.ashx
    General Audio: http://www.elma.com/-/media/product...uments/ch15-rs-audio-solutions-catalog-e.ashx

12. chiily

It was a couple of your postings Alan that made me consider a Goldpoint; you are to blame!

I had previous changed selector from a crude, cheap plastic thing to a Seiden 4 pole 6 way selector, which has the most glorious feel to it, something I would hope the Goldpoint would provide.

[​IMG]

13. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I'm up for fitting a Goldpoint to my Nac 72 but will it fit? It's not the diameter but the depth that concerns me - has anyone actually fitted one to a Nac 72 - surely the 321 boards are in the way?

14. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

15. chiily

Wow, that X4 Audio looks the biz, I bet it has a biz price too! It would the perfect thing, push to mute/unmite switch, up to 64 positions and IR remote control...I'm salivating :D: cool:

16. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I'll have a look Pete :).

17. 337alant

oops sorry :D:D
    As others have said its the quality and reliability of the switch contact that makes the difference
    Alan

18. Hempknight

Hempknight pfm Member

DACT attenuators look very well made too, does anyone use theirs ?

19. tomek

tomek pfm Member

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

64 steps @1db probably means two monos would work to give a reasonable balance facility. Often with stepped attenuators the steps are just too large. It never ceases to amaze me how much audio kit these days lacks this most basic function!