1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I splash the cash on a Goldpoint?

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by chiily, Aug 22, 2017.

1. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Another Khozmo fan here. Popped one into a DIY Aclass pre-amp and am delighted with the results (upgraded from a Valab stepper). I know others who have used the DACT and report siimilar results. I really like the 64 steps, for more usable than 32.

2. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

And now I've just found this in my parts box..

[​IMG]

9 years old and working fine...

I feel an acrylic fronted B4 pre-amp coming on.

3. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I would like to replace an 32-indent (ALPS) attenuator with a stepped one on my preamp, but I can't see any maker of a 32-stepper. Can anyone point me in the right direction, besides squirting contact cleaner into the existing component?

4. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Goldpoint do a 47 step one.

Pete

5. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I know. I'm after a 32-step to match the volume dial markings.

6. chrisn

chrisn pfm Member

Here's a picture with the Valab fitted, sound is improved I think
    Lower volume steps are a little coarse but acceptable

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlfhyjb2fo0jxfq/IMG_0575.JPG?dl=0

There is enough room to flush fit a Goldpoint just, but the spindle will stick out 25mm!
    Has anyone fitted one?

Goldpoint 24 20k would seem a good move and reportedly has better low volume steps?
    Would 25k be better from this point of view?
    Should I try x2 monos and do away with the selector?

7. chrisn

chrisn pfm Member

Thanks Tony for the new forum,
    My Goldpoint is stuck with Parcelforce. Anyone else any experience?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  8. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

If I ever stumble across one of them Round Tuit's I'm planning on making myself a stepped attenuator using reed relays.. I dug out some old boards with a load of mil spec reed relays and started on designing the electronics to control the relays (TTL. Non of those new fangled PIC's or anything here!) but that's as far as I got with it so far.

9. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Before you do that, I suggest you read the article on reed relay distortion by Samuel Groner and Bruno Putzeys in Linear Audio volume 13.

[​IMG]

10. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

Interesting. But those distortion levels are infinitesimal and I'm unlikely to be putting more than a mA through the contacts. Building it for zero money from parts to hand is the overriding concern...

11. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

I agree. I just found the difference interesting.

12. chrisn

chrisn pfm Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017 at 5:33 PM
  13. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

Looks a nice neat job how does it sound ?

Alan

14. chrisn

chrisn pfm Member

I tried the Valab ebay offering for a couple of weeks which sounded good but had an agricultural feel and the steps were useless

The Goldpoint however is amazing in terms of sound quality, clear and spacious with a sweet sound
    Listening through active SBLs is a revelation
    I will do a careful comparison with the 52 Scap, but at the moment I think the 72 Goldpoint may beat it

15. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

I knew you would end up with one, dam good aren’t they.
    Can’t believe any one would use a potentiometer.

Pete