1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Show us your film cameras...

Discussion in 'photo' started by gavreid, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

albireo likes this.
  2. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Here's my olympus OM 'collection' - I tried to take it in the style of the old pictures in the manuals :)

OM1n (right), OM2n (left), OM10 with 28mm/f3.5 & manual adaptor, 50mm/1.4, 85mm/f2 (the silver face), 200mm/f4, 80mm/f4 1:1 macro & 2x closeup lens, Auto bellows & double cable release, Telescopic Auto Tube 65-116, T32, T20 flash heads & bounce grip...

[​IMG]_DSF2150.jpg by Gavin Reid, on Flickr

albireo likes this.
  3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I love the OM1n, a superbly elegant bit of form dictated by function. I bought one new in 1981 and kind of regret selling it even though I don’t go near film these days. I had the 50mm f1.8 and the rather slow 135mm (f3.5 IIRC).

4. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Yes you can't go wrong with the OM1n, it's a beautiful camera. Small and light and a true design classic. Saying that, the 2n is great too, and a bit more automated, it's hard to choose. The 135/3.5 is a nice lens (so too the 200/4), and a bit of a steal these days.

5. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Ernemann Bob folding camera from the early 1920s:

[​IMG]

Everything still works but the bellows leaks. I last ran film through it in 1973.

The shabby chair is of similar vintage, and seemed appropriate since it's my grandmother's chair, and my aunt's (her sister's) camera. Chair is in storage awaiting the reupholsterer.

6. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

You've got to get that working again Yank, the bellows can be repaired easily enough.

7. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Then I'd have to worry about getting film. It uses 116 roll film, which hasn't been available for a number of decades. Even back in 1973, I could only get color film at Christmastime, and Verichrome Pan B&W was only available sporadically. It's got a nice size negative though - 2 1/2 x 4 1/2, so contact prints were big enough to view.

Ernemann were one of the camera makers that merged to become Zeiss-Ikon. The famous Zeiss-Ikon Tower in Dresden was originally the Ernemann Tower. But the Bob folding camera was not one of their historically significant models.

8. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Here's my last for now. Yashica Mat 124G, in its mint leather case (it even came with the box and manual). Not sure it had more than a roll or two through it before I got it...

[​IMG]_DSF2184.jpg by Gavin Reid, on Flickr

9. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

There's a company in the UK that makes up bellows to order at a reasonable price. You unmount the old ones, send them off, and you get new ones back. Can't remember their name, something with "bellows" in them.

10. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Sorry, just read about the film size problem!

11. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

It might be possible to make 120 film work with a bit of know how...

12. narabdela

narabdela who?

You can roll your own with Kodak 65mm bulk film. There are tutorials out there.