1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Speakers

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by minimido, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Which speakers did you try Frank? Have you tried the option of small monitors plus a sub? I just have a feeling that its going to be a lottery finding floorstanders that work in your room, and larger monitors such as BBC legacy will also need more space to breathe.

2. eastone

eastone pfm Member

What about Bourney's WLM Diva Monitors? You'd need some stands but they ought to be fast and open, and should be able to handle being relatively close to the wall.

3. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

I used to own a pair of Ruark Prologue 1 speakers which I had firing across the room in a room about the same size as your's Frank and I very much enjoyed them. They can be picked up for about £250 which makes them a real bargain. Could be good as a temporary measure even if you end up with something better in the long run.

I thought you had a pair of Crusaders in the cupboard. What happened to them?

My own AOS Studio 100's could potentially be up for sale too if someone waves enough cash under my nose. They're awesome beasts but probably a bit too large for what you're after.

4. andy831

andy831 pfm Member

I have heard these and they are lovely speakers. If I had not dropped over £1K on hi Fi and had a £650 bill for my car this week I would be on them like a shot.

5. minimido

minimido pfm Member

Any particular model? I had a pair of standmounts here a couple of years ago, but found them a little dull.

6. minimido

minimido pfm Member

Thanks Mike,

the Crusaders are long gone btw.

7. minimido

minimido pfm Member

I have had fairly substantially sized floorstanders in here that have worked so I know it is possible and I really would like to try more before going down the standmount route.

I'm listening to standmounts at the moment and their lack of scale is really not doing it for me with Rock music.

8. Curtis

Curtis pfm Member

I had the contour 1.3 mkII and 1.1 and neither were dull. They do like to be played loud though! You may also want to consider acoustic energy reference 1, ae1 active or even the 301's. The later can be placed close to the wall due to its front port loading, the ref one is more refined. AE have an ebay site where they sell off b grade speakers. Think they have some ref1 on there for £849.

9. eastone

eastone pfm Member

These ought to give you some scale:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-A...403102?hash=item2cc538ec5e:g:7BYAAOSwOsBZnquT

10. Curtis

Curtis pfm Member

Oh if you want floorstanding then not dynaudio. They are dull and bass is woolly. Which audiovectors did you have? I had a pair of their floorstanding signitures which had ribbon tweeters. They made the treble too bright and detached for me. Also although the bass was fast it was all a bit soft for me.
    I would have thought it would be tough to place a floorstander firing across a narrow room. Which makes and types have been successfull?

11. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

12. minimido

minimido pfm Member

Hi, yes I had the Si3 signature, but with the soft dome tweeter.

I've had success with a couple of Monitor Audios, Ruark Crusaders etc.

13. jhud1952

jhud1952 pfm Member

Seek out some Pylon Audio Diamond 28 floorstanders . Not many around but Hi Fi Hangar in Borden Hampshire may be able to help.

14. minimido

minimido pfm Member

Ok, thanks Jon.

15. minimido

minimido pfm Member

Hi Andrew,

yes, the thought has crossed my mind about standmounts and a sub, but I wouldn't know where to start and does this option really work? I've always thought that you can't beat a well integrated, cohesive speaker, one where you really can't tell that there are numerous drive units involved. I have been very surprised to find that some very expensive speakers can't seem to manage this. Is this sort of cohesion/integration possible with speakers and a sub?

You are quite correct, it has been a bit of a lottery with regards to speakers that work and don't in this room. However, what I have found is that one really cannot tell by the size of the speaker. I've had standmounts that boom and huge floorstanders that I imagined would absolutely not work in here surprise me with very controlled bass.

Have pm'ed you.

16. Piksky

Piksky pfm Member

Wow - what are those and how much pocket money do I need to save to get some? They look SERIOUSLY impressive.

17. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

PM me ☺

18. bourney

bourney pfm Member

Neat MF ultimatum range.

19. minimido

minimido pfm Member

Thank you Steve, this is a range that others have recommended too, so they are definitely one I'm looking out for.

20. Goldenmouse

Goldenmouse pfm Member