1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

St. Vincent

Discussion in 'music' started by matt j, Oct 18, 2017.

1. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Anyone else just doesn't get all the fuss about her?

It's almost like the reviewers are trying to shoehorn her into some sort of imaginary slot vacated by Bowie and force her "greatness" upon us.

2. evand

evand pfm Member

Yip, if she’s made a good tune I’ve not heard it.

3. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

Yes, I struggle with her, but kind of feel like I ought to persevere. Definitely a damn good guitarist though, and not too shabby on the eyes either.

4. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

Try these songs off the 2015 album st Vincent:
    I Prefer Your Love
    Prince Johnny
    Psycopath
    Severed Cross Fingers

Avoid the 2012 David Byrne album, particularly if you don't like David Byrne, as I don't.

Then try these off the 2011 album Strange Mercy:
    Cheerleader
    Dilettante
    Year Of The Tiger

Then this one off the 2009 album Actor:
    The Party

Then these off the 2007 album Marry Me:
    Marry Me
    All My Stars Aligned
    Landmines
    What me Worry

If you are on the negative trajectory I don't know if they will bring you round, but she only really shines when she goes for songs with chord progressions / ballads. And she does not do enough of them for me.

I think her output has definitely been patchy but she is definitely interesting and a peculiar talent. Her guitar work is also impressive. Check this at 6 mins 20 to the end https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jv4lgFrL7U Beware this is one of those songs that is shit, though. She's doing a bit of a Fripp, whom I understand she holds in high regard.

I still think she has a classic album in her. But I do think it's overdue now.

5. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Totally odd-ball, but unmissable. She does not stick to any particular formula though.

Probably at her maddest best on Love This Giant?

6. trick cyclist

trick cyclist pfm Member

Thanks Rich, that was a really useful link, and some stuff I'll look at later.

For my part, I've been avoiding her, as the stuff that seems to be pushed from her album at the moment sounds like mindless fluffy pop-drivel, which I despise with a vengeance.

'Year of the Tiger' very promising, as is the stuff that harks to me of Prince and Bjork.

7. evand

evand pfm Member

That'd explain why her music does nothing for me. I just can't listen to Fripp, believe me, I've tried.

8. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

Yes, I avoid her guitar wanking stuff when listening.

9. trick cyclist

trick cyclist pfm Member

10. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

I listened to six of her more famous tracks last night.

I won't be wasting any more of my time.

If there's talent there I'm missing it.

11. guey

guey pfm Member

I love the last album (though it took a wee while to grow on me), and the Byrne collaboration Love This Giant - still waiting on the arrival of the new one.
    If she'd not have played at the Brixton academy (with it's sh!tty sound) I'd have gone to see her live.

12. Sich

Sich Active Member

I saw her supporting Grizzly Bear years ago, she was shy with a two person show and I had no idea who she was.
    I've followed her since and she is a little marmite - spiky but poppy. She needs to grow on you, it's not instant; like all of the best music.
    I do have a slight crush on her :D

13. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Failing to see her guitar greatness myself TBH.

Although at least St Vincent is alot better than this latest one to get some Fender airtime (apparently she doesn't like "...things to sound too perfect" - no shit). Skip to the 'solo' at 02:20 and the guy just sitting there thinking - "how the feck do I play along with that!").

[YOUTUBE]wRCea043IeY[/YOUTUBE]

14. gary yeowell

gary yeowell pfm Member

Just checked her out on You Tube. That's 3 minutes of my life i will never get back.

15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun pfm Member

The thirteen minute guitar-'shredding' performance left me bored to death. Seeing her play without the design-art-theatre settings is revealing.

I found 'St. Vincent' was an album I could admire but not like. She has talent, wit and intelligence – but I don't find the way she deploys them to be interesting beyond watching her manifest desire to out-weird the weirdest in a clearly delineated art-pop-career trajectory. Somehow I feel that it's a bit superficial when you look deeper than the apparently intelligently cool surface. The new movie and the 'art' videos seem to make the artifice and strategies ever more apparent.

The new album seems bit more varied but, again I'm not drawn to listening more than once or twice.

Style-wise she seems stuck on a repetitive ballad route. It reminds me all too much of Shiina Ringo who at least feels more genuine at expressing herself through her music, voice and wild guitar.

16. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Is the drummer wearing hearing protection?? (don't blame him)

17. trick cyclist

trick cyclist pfm Member

I need to continue looking into her oevre (ooer!), but quite enjoying her early stuff from 'Marry Me', particularly 'Your Lips are Red', reminds me of King Crimson during the Adrian Belew period.

18. JD68

JD68 Active Member

The music is mediocre and she's pretentious. It's a no from me.