1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Superfly Records - superb reissue jazz/funk/rarities!

Discussion in 'music' started by tedmanzie, Nov 3, 2017.

1. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

Couldn't see another thread about this.

http://label.superflyrecords.com

I picked up a brilliant jazz reissue in Sounds Of The Universe a couple of weeks back - 'Spirit Speaks - The Descendants of Mike and Phoebe' which apparently is a very rare LP originally on Strata East records. Anyway, the quality of the reissue is SUPERB - beautiful pressing, printing and attention to detail. Seems to be a French label but pressed and printed in Japan (?)

I've since picked up several more from Honest Jons, they are about £20 per LP, all equally as nice.

Here's another one, apparently a super rare Strata East:
    http://www.superflyrecords.com/item...-1-0/118860147/john-gordon-erotica-suite.html

Highly recommended!! :)

2. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Thank you, I know hes' got the Mike and Phoebe album, but will get the Erotica for my friend as i know he has a lot of the Superfly records, but i don't think he has the John Gordon album.

3. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

Spirit Speaks - The Descendants of Mike and Phoebe & other Strata East titles also out on pure pleasure records & these are 100% AAA & pressed at pallas in germany

4. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

Thanks good tip!
    I wonder if the two reissues of Mike & Phoebe are related? I might email superfly and ask about how the remastering was done.

5. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

I have Etta James 'The Right Time' on Pure Pleasure Records and I can confirm it's a very good pressing indeed.

6. hockman

hockman pfm Member

The Superfly guys are great fellows, I know them well. Their reissues are usually very meticulously done and they only seek to put out the rare, hard to find stuff. BUT I believe that most of it is digitally remastered from rare original vinyl records since the tapes are not easily obtained. There are exceptions I think.

I generally don't buy reissues but I do own a number of Superfly ones.

7. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

Doubt Superfly are analogue , 99% of all records are digital source
    even if they use a tape as a source will be a 2nd generation copy or back up tape & not the mastertape
    & will be converted to digital for mastering & the cutting lathe will have a digital preview head not analogue

But they are very well done reissues with excellent packaging have both but only played the PP version & as always sound is excellent , Mastered by Ray Staff at Air London & Pressed at Pallas Germany Pure Pleasure are always Pure Analogue ( AAA ) the for last 20years

8. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

Thanks good info!
    I got a reply from Superfly too:

"The mastering is done in Japan with no noise reduction with a view to make it sound as close as possible to original vinyl. we sometimes have the original master but it does not [always] sound that good. Covers are made in Japan also, the vinyl is from Record Industry in Holland and we love their quality."

Would be interesting to compare the PP reissues. The Superfly's sound fine here though, they are obviously done with love! :)

9. hockman

hockman pfm Member

This is probably correct. Superfly is not an audiophile label. The owners are ex-DJs who love their music and their goal is to put out rare records whereas Pure Pleasure focuses more on "audiophile"-oriented reissues.