1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System pics 2013 part I

Discussion in 'reference' started by Tony L, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Waxxy

Waxxy pfm Member

A most gracious welcome..thanks very much.

I'm a tweaker too. I have been ever since I heard the improvement a set of footers (feet?) made to the sound of my old Kenwood turntable. Right now everything is on roller bearings of some type or another. I've got Symposium Roller Blocks under the phono stage, Ingress Audio roller bearings under the TT and speakers, and FIM roller bearings under everything else.

And like you, I do understand why some people don't tweak. Everyone has their own set of priorities.

Now that I know I'm being monitored, I'll try and keep my nose clean.:D

Thanks again for the warm welcome, and anytime you'd like to discuss tubes, I'm all ears. BTW, which part of Canada, and how long have you been gone?

2. Waxxy

Waxxy pfm Member

I do fancy your Fours, but I'm afraid I'd have to upgrade the rest of my system to do them justice!

The Urushi is a Vermillion, but the previous owner had it rebuilt by Koetsu with the Platinum magnets, so it is essentially a Rosewood Signature Platinum with an Urushi body. It's my first Koetsu, and Gaaad does it sound good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe it puts out about .3 mV, but that's just based on the figures I've read about the Rosewood Platinum.

Thanks for the welcome.

3. Waxxy

Waxxy pfm Member

Thanks guys.

The teak cradenza was found by my wife at a thrift store and cost us a grand total of $40.

The stained glass was a gift from my brother, and it fits that window (and the rest of our decor) perfectly.

4. Jack Barriere

Jack Barriere Me, you and them

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

5. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

Lots of LPs, but no TT in sight ...

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

That's one peculiar Koetsu ! No wonder I've never heard of it. The description actually says 'Urushi SIG platinum'. Even weirder, as I've never heard of a Urushi Signature either !!!!!!!:) If it was originally a Urushi, I just can't fathom how it could have transmogrified into a souped-up Rosewood Sig.

I shall fall asleep tonight with disturbed dreams of counting alien Koetsus.....

My Sugano SON Vermillion shunts out marginally less than the others. <0.2mV in your language or 0.38 or so mV in ours (at 5cm/sec).

If you could figure out a way to get 366 kilos of Fours plus packaging over to the land of the maple leaf, you wouldn't need to change anything........:D

7. mark.king

mark.king pfm Member

I used to have AE109s over 10 years ago powered by an audio lab 8000s. Loved the sound of that system

8. Jack Barriere

The Rega TT is in the living room.

9. louballoo

louballoo Banned

Nice system Jack, what kind of speakers are they?

Louballoo

10. Jack Barriere

Linn 109s in walnut.

11. vln

vln Hail the sulking behemoths!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ATC SCM100 (veneer: rosewood); Linn LP12, Akurate Kontrol, Akurate DS, Lingo2; rack: Solidsteel.

Comments here.

12. Jack Barriere

VERY NICE :)

13. Alco

Alco pfm Member

I like the clean looks of your system, Jack Barriere. :)
    (although I'd try to hide the speaker cable a bit more)

If memory serves me well, you recently had a very large vinyl storage unit against that wall, behind your Linn speakers, am I right ?

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

So this is what life after Koetsu looks like; think I'll eschew the afterlife while I've still got a few years to run .:D

15. JTC

JTC Saint Alphonso!

[​IMG]

I changed the temporary unit from before to an oak cabinet which handily swallows up system plus most of the wiring too. MDAC lives in the cupboard on the left (temp stable at warm but not hot, due to adequate air around it):

[​IMG]

Planning to move the speakers out and apart a bit once we redo our living room (where the Ikea units to the left of the left hand speaker will go). Also laying the seed idea of some room treatments... give it time, she'll cave :)

The speakers are currently around 14" from the rear wall, slightly less at the inner back corner as they're slightly toed. Playing with listening positions right now - either the sofa in the far field (where bass is better) or the chair in the near(ish) field, where the room seems to recede more but bass is leaner (a null point alas).

16. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Very nice stands for those 109's, Jack. What are they?

17. arthur

arthur Banned

Looking good John!

The speakers dwarf the telly :D

18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

JTC

Unless it's photographic licence, your speakers not only look enormous but seem to have tremendous depth. What are they?

19. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

There must be at least a full sheet of 8x4 mdf in each cabinet!

20. JTC

JTC Saint Alphonso!

Mike: ATC 100 active floorstanders. Yes, big, deep and heavy (what you also can't see from this angle are the amp packs which poke out the back). They're just under 60cm deep, 120cm high, 40cm-ish wide.

telly is 40" for scale.