1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System pics 2013 - part II

Discussion in 'reference' started by oldius, Apr 1, 2013.

1. gary yeowell

gary yeowell pfm Member

Thankyou gents!

@ Rackit, still prefer the Canon to all the rest if shooting digitally.

2. 9designs

9designs pfm Member

One assumes investing in a Naim Fraim is to prevent vibrations getting into the electronics? So isn't placing it in a corner and behind a speaker some what counter productive?

3. gary yeowell

gary yeowell pfm Member

Or on the other hand, given my room's layout and the fact that it's the only available place, it makes a much better job of a bad situation, given other possibilities of course i'd avoid it. Also in terms of floor vibration, the speakers don't transmit much vibration as they are sitting on two large paving slabs sunk into concrete which go down to the foundations, whereas the Fraim sits on the suspended wooden floor that floats around the speaker's solid foundation. Air born is unavoidable of course, but the CDS3's transport is suspended...

4. garysan

garysan pfm Member

Thought I'd post some images of my rig now I've had a pause from throwing money at it this last few months. Hopefully I'll be able to leave it alone for a while now. Well, the wife hopes… ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

:cool:

6. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Some impressive AV kit there. You running 5.1?

7. scottcarpenter

scottcarpenter pfm Member

I remember Hughes Electrical in Norwich. I grew up in Southwold/Halesworth/Lowestoft! Is it still there? I don't live in Suffolk these days.

They do look absolutely beautiful I agree.

8. garysan

garysan pfm Member

Yes, I have it configured as 5.1 although not quite 'there' yet with it. The bass monster seems to have appeared since I introduced the AVR600 as there's a lot more sub-bass info being extracted from Blu-Ray's then its predecessor managed (AVR350). I've had to tone down the subwoofer quite a few db's to compensate and although it's nearly there, there's a little more tweaking to go methinks.

2 channel is bang on however and I'm very happy with standard stereo performance now :)

9. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

Last time I looked Hughes were located in a warehouse/shed on the norwich by-pass-I used to go into the Lowestoft shop sometimes,many years ago though.

10. realmassy

realmassy pfm Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A simple STAX setup, with a custom amplifier. Now it's time to get some new valves

11. garysan

garysan pfm Member

I like it ;)

12. mattski

mattski pfm Member

Snap, great looking system :)

13. mattski

mattski pfm Member

Following a couple of tweaks :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. StephenB

StephenB pfm Member

started with a pair of Meraks this summer, ended up with this :)

[​IMG]

15. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Mattski, nice. What are your impressions of the Auralic?

16. mattski

mattski pfm Member

Lovely meraks and system, what speakers are the?

Thanks Darren - the Auralic stuff is fab, really impressed - not going anywhere soon...

17. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Good to hear Mattski.

I suppose the same question about the Auralic DAC to StephenB. I also would like to know what those speakers are.

18. StephenB

StephenB pfm Member

Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands, bought them for my Cyrus system a few years ago and were a revelation with Cyrus.

Reassuring to know Auralic chose their bigger brother to demo their kit at the Vegas show CES 2013, so no immediate plans to change them yet

Genuinely shocked at the performance jump of each component compared to my last setup, got me so firmly back into my love of music I even got a TT and decent Phono :)

I stream from a recently built Intel NUC btw bottom right of telly

[​IMG]

19. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

The main rig is much the same as last year:
    [​IMG]

I did get a very nice Stax Earspeakers setup from my wife for Christmas:

[​IMG]

The headphone stand was a present from my kids too!

[​IMG]