1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System pics 2014

Discussion in 'reference' started by Bemused, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

I see you have the Metrum Octave DAC in your pic - how are you finding the sound (perhaps even when comparing against the Mytek)?

So far my taste very much favours the Gold Note DAC-7 after listening to many other DACs, but in due course I would like to hear the Metrum for its multibit NOS design.

2. boegelund

boegelund pfm Member

I would certainly urge you to give that Bryston a better placement than on top of a tuner dvd
    Could you describe what you think the Brsyton does better than Brio except power

3. Hoopsontoast

Hoopsontoast pfm Member

I really did not get on with the Apollo-R, just sounded bright/splashy in the treble and boomy/odd in the bass, especially compare to the Sony S9000ES. Not heard so much of a change between CDPs before and it only lasted a weekend. I much preferred the Sony, much smoother all round.

The Brio-R did better than I expected though, sounded good but not brilliant. Bit rough round the edges but a lot more drive/balls than the Brio3 I had when I owned the SCM10s previously.

I can see where the Rega electronics get their lively/get-up-and-go sound from but I find it a little tiresome, I much prefer their speakers based on my experiences (R1, R3, R7, Alya and Jura)

The B60 sounds a lot better IMO and that's just on one evenings listening. Initially I thought it sounded a bit loose/soft in the bass until I went out the room and realised how loud I was listening, much higher than I usually did but it just sounded so un-strained in the mid-treble, its just the bass dynamics with the little 80dB SCM10s and 60wpc B60 has its obvious limits. As mentioned though, its louder than I would usually listen I just did not realise how loud it was!

At more normal volumes it sounds great, bass is great, tight and punchy with good depth, not the lowest but then that's the limitation of the ATCs again. There was no hint of grain/harshness in the treble I have had from the Brio-R and other SS amps, the B60 really is a gem of an amp if you dont NEED massive power. Runs quite cool as well which is nice, even after the hammering with some John Grant or Orbital at high volumes it was barely warm to the touch!

Any particular reason it would make a difference?

4. RoDa

RoDa Member

New year, not so much new gear :)

[​IMG]

Digital - Squeezebox with Teddy PSU, Rega DAC
    Analog - Rega RP6 with Exact and Heed Questar MM
    Amplifier - Audionet SAM G2
    Speakers - Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand Symphony Edition

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Alco

Alco pfm Member

Thanks Hoops, for your desciption regarding the Brio-R vs Bryston B60.

Personally I don't recognize most of your experience with the Brio-r, like:
    "Bit rough round the edges","There was no hint of grain/harshness in the treble I have had from the Brio-R"

In fact, I also had/still like the Brio-r, but found it a bit too smooth/laid-back, lacking a bit of bite/sparkle.
    (although that was mostly solved after trying different powerchords, speakercable and plugs)

@RoDa,

Great looking system, great pics. :cool:

6. hacker

hacker Delicious and nutritious

Very nice, clean, classy. Bravo.

7. RoDa

RoDa Member

Thank you Alco & hacker! :)

I tried to make the system both enjoyable and nice looking.
    All black components in the Ikea rack and the Mozarts that are able to deliver the Rega sound to my ears.

[​IMG]

Regards, RoDa

8. yurivv

yurivv pfm Member

Metrum Octave plays in my system for over a year. It happened that I completely changed all the components of my system last year. Only Metrum survived. For me this is an exceptional DAC. Its main quality is the emotional connection with music, because of stunning articulation and intonations reproduction and great rhythm and tempo abilities.

If anyone is interested, here is my review of this device (long!):

http://www.hi-audio.ru/page/metrum-octave-recenziya-soundex.html

Although it is written in Russian, one can easily use the Google translator. It is far from ideal, but still can give a rough idea.

Mytek is a very decent machine. He does everything right. I believe it is the best Sabre DAC from my personal experience. It is also good in the same department as Metrum, yet Metrum still could not be reached. Nevertheless, I would recommend it to anyone who needs a decent and not very expensive DAC.

9. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

How do you guys win your war on dust?
    I need to know.

10. mattski

mattski pfm Member

Anti-dust mites

11. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

Take all of my thumbs

12. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

Back room, Mac,Amarra with Dirac's IRC room correction ,Bakoon integrated, and the new M2Tech Young /DSD dac.Loudspeakers are the Cessaro, 'Chopin'.
    [​IMG]

Keith

13. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

That fence is gonna need some treatment soon!
    I'd love to hear those speakers though. Mind you, I'd also love to have the ££ to be in that market as well.
    Nice.
    Matt.

14. merlin

merlin pfm Member

[​IMG]

Last week I went back to proper sized loudspeakers.

Today the neighbours moved out. Fun for a short while. :)

15. Daniel Quinn

Daniel Quinn Banned

The two facts are no doubt causally related ;)

16. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer pfm Member

Woooow... so brutal!

17. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

I have just fixed that fence!

[​IMG]

Keith.

18. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

Doesn't look like they've opened the sonic window any wider though :)

19. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

How's it sounding Merlin? Looks intimidating!

20. merlin

merlin pfm Member

Awful Darren. :)

In truth, they are the most revealing speakers I've owned to date. Will be more of a battle than expected to get them to integrate perfectly into the room though. A work in progress but they have seemingly endless potential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.