1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Temporary new style

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There is now a temporary green ‘pfm’ style available for selection in the preferences in your user account.

IT IS NOT FINISHED!

It does however fix a few of the concerns, e.g. muted background, non-serif font etc.

Skinning this place is bewilderingly complex as there is a colour swatch with many colours and gradients but no indication whatsoever as to what design element they impact. Just stuff like ‘primary dark, primary less dark, primary light, secondary dark secondary light etc etc’. Miles of it and no explanation anywhere what goes with which of the hundreds of custom elements. As an example I haven’t a f***ing clue where the colour of those ugly blue/yellow speech bubbles are set as I have none of those in any colour swatch!

I did a fair bit of it on a third-party skin generator over on www.colorizeit.com which got me here probably a week sooner than doing it on my own. It still isn’t right by a mile so don’t be too hard on it. I certainly don’t like the front forum display page yet, the bars are far too light and I’ve no idea how to change them due to the lack of documentation as to what colour impacts what element...

Aaarrggh!

PS IT IS NOT FINISHED!

jackbarron likes this.
  2. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Getting there!

3. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

Yay! Feels a bit more like home.

4. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

Ah that's better. I can take off my sunglasses now.

Jack

5. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

It is Green and should placate the It’s too bright members.

6. Still

Still gyldengourd

Looking good, thanks Tony.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Absolutely hating the green quote box, but not the slightest bloody clue how to alter it...

8. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

We all appreciate your efforts Tony.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

...got half of the quote box...

10. Unregistered

Unregistered pfm Member

11. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

strangely I find that temporary style pretty much unreadable on my desktop. There is a strange effect happening between the background and all the other coloured items. My impressions are the background is too bright, yet the furniture it too pale, and the whole thing is overloading my vision so that the text is unreadable.

I am glad you are giving us a choice....

12. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I think the minty version looks quite nice. Soothing at least with no sharp contrasts to blare out at you.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Another quick update: The green skin is now gone, it had some real issues and I’m going in a different direction. Basically I’m just going to buy one as I’ve seen one that looks pretty much exactly what I had in mind and achieving it myself would likely take me weeks of unbelievably tedious work.

This is what I’ll be buying once I’ve figured out how much it costs to remove the branding: Indium. Looks very ‘pfm’ to me, and it looks easy enough to do the odd tweak here and there.

PS As I hope folk can see I’ve just done a very quick and dirty edit of the default blue skin to get a grey message background and a san serif font. It is a botch, but hopefully it is a little easier for dyslexics etc. Do not consider it finished, it is just a temporary step before installing a proper skin.

14. kenniGT

kenniGT pfm Member

Yep. Style managers are nightmare. 100s of setting and you usually have no idea what they are for. Here is how it looks in vbulletin:

[​IMG]

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Xenforo is far more baffling as there is no documentation I can find anywhere that explains which of the multitude of colour swatch colours relates to which specific design elements. Makes it impossible for me as a) I am looking for a very subtle skin with a low number of similar colours, and b) I have fairly poor colour sense, especially in electric light, so was actually having to use a screenshot in a photo editor with the dropper tool to try and figure out which colour was which, all rather futile as many are gradients so didn’t give a solid web colour number... bollocks to it, I like to do things myself, but I’ll just buy in a skin as the Admin Style tools are all but unusable to me in this case.

16. kenniGT

kenniGT pfm Member

For vbulletin 5 you can not even buy good styles. So xenforo has big advantage here.
    And documentation is also very poor. You have to do all by try and error...

17. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

Is that website with the sample ok? I am getting back a number of certificate errors from it.....

18. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i can't seem to find this. am i looking in the right place?

[​IMG]

vuk.

19. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

it's been removed for now... :)

20. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Indium looks like they stole it from you sometime between 2003 and now!