1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Temporary new style

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Nov 8, 2017.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

you are probably using firefox (like me) and it is detecting that their security certificate has been revoked. try google chrome.

tony -- these people are clearly scamming you ;-)

vuk.

2. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

nope it was chrome and IE that puked on the site, don't have FF installed (not allowed to use it at work).

3. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Firefox doesn't like it either.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Has anyone who is familiar with Xenforo any idea what the bright white areas left on this page around the grey post background are called? I’d like to blunt them down to a grey too, but I’ve no idea where to find them!

5. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

tony.

there is a core container with classname "pageContent" -- css style for background-color on that is what you need to change, if possible.

vuk.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Cool, got it and found quite a few other options nearby relating to the user details, avatar holder etc so this view is looking a lot cleaner now.

7. trancera

trancera pfm Member

Tony,

Do you use Firefox, if so a right click and "inspect element" may help find things. You can edit the page 'live' in some instances (using the arrow selector on the left, play with colours fonts widths etc) then try to find the elements in the forum templates etc.

trance.

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Safari actually has that, never occured to me to use it though! I do most stuff on an iPad these days, but will have a look at the other bits on the Macbook later. I’m happy enough with this thread view now, if I can ‘de-white’ the main room/node view it will be a pretty usable alternate skin. I have a feeling that some of the third-party skins such as the one I’m considered have a bit more Java type stuff going on, so it kind of makes sense to have a bog-standard XenForo skin as an alternate for folk like Jim who are running really odd browsers or folk trying to access the site from 1990 on Mosaic!

9. jimi

jimi pfm Member

Tony do you mean my browser if so what is odd about it as I may have a bug.

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

No, I was thinking of Jim who is probably the UK's only RISC OS user ;-)

(at the moment, I stuck a copy on a SD card to try on my Raspberry PI, but I've not got round to it yet)

11. Ken C

Ken C pfm Member

Tony, i just wanted to congratulate you on how you are managing this translation and it is very obvious every time i come back that things are in fact getting better. your communication with users is absolutely first rate!!

That is more than i can say for another forum that has undergone changes that (a) were extremely poorly managed and communicated (b) retrogressive in a lot of cases and (c) completely ignored views of end users some of whom got so fed up they decided to leave!

enjoy
    ken

RichardH, Nic Robinson and davcoll like this.
  12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Thanks Ken, much appreciated.

13. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Ken's right you know. Very well done!

We'll all soon get used to it, esp once you figure out how to turn bells & whistles off ; )

eta: esp. the gash emojis.

14. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

15. trancera

trancera pfm Member

ps Tony,

I did notice a fair amount of padding between messages, wonder if it ought to be less if adjustable as I find myself reviewing others post to get the current conversation.

Firefox says its here:
    .messageList .message {
    padding-top: 10px;
    padding-bottom: 30px;

Agree with the others above, the speed with which you have got this going is excellent, anyone would think you know the place well. Maybe when its fully up and running you could look at getting an offshore haven type tech job ;)

16. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

If you're taking requests Tony, please can you make the 'go to first unread post' button a bit bigger, or separate it a bit more from the thread title, or OP's avatar. I often use an iPad mini, and even with a small stylus, I'm struggling to hit the button more than 1 in 3 attempts.

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It should go to first unread just by clicking the thread title if there are unread posts, i.e. no need for the little dot thing. I’d been doing it wrong at Steve Hoffman’s site for years, only figured it out since installing it here!

18. blackholesun

blackholesun peace among worlds

and it does, what is even more impressive is that it remembers the unread posts from before the migration

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There is another attempt at a ‘pfm green’ skin. This is just one I’ve knocked up myself to better learn the bewildering array of tools. I will still be going for a slick flat professional skin, but it’s there if folk want to try it. Very similar but slightly better than yesterday’s web-gen attempt, but done properly by me rather than a generated skin from the colourizeit site, so none of the outdated templates etc that made me bin the last one in a hurry! You can select it via preferences in your user panel.

PS It is not especially good, so don’t get your hopes up!

20. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Another thing while
    I'm sure once Tony installs the proper pro theme he is thinking of using it'll have a fully resizable HTML5 mobile version rather than a browser resizable one which will sort out those buttons.

While I think about things Tony, I'd have thought you only need HTTPS for the user account and logon pages, none of the sites I host serve everything from behind HTTPS, you only need to protect user data.

I'm sure you are aware but any dynamic stuff should happen natively with HTML5 not Java, flash etc these days to be fully secure and more importantly to rank well with Google, in fact in terms of page ranking well, a fully dynamic site is much more important to Google than security.

Once you have got your theme sorted and it is working properly on PC, mobile, tablet and to a lesser extent high Res (retina) run it through a few tools like Google page speed and GT metrix. Although you don't need to disappear down an endless warren of page speed optimisations, Google does rank pages according to the metrics found on those tools.

Hope some of my witerings help a little.

Stefan