1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Temporary new style

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Thanks Stefan, I’ll bare that in mind.

PS I’ve set the temporary green skin as the default. It’s not right, and it won’t be staying for long, but it is ‘more pfm’ than the blue one, so makes sense to have it as the working default for guests etc. If you prefer the blue one it is still available in preferences.

2. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

it might be more "pfm", but at least I can read the blue. The spearmint is very hard on the eyes.

ah just read the end of you post about the blue skin still being available - good!

3. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Feck that's lurid!

4. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

Yeah, the spearmint version is a bit too much in my face! Sticking with the blue for now.

5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Ah, all good on the unread posts thing, thanks. Quite like the mint green, as a temporary measure. Fresh!

6. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

A nugget of purest green:

7. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Green yes!!

8. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

I prefer it to the blue, but that's because I take comfort in the familiar.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Still working on it. I’ve just knocked the secondary colours back to the defaults as there doesn’t seem an easy way of getting green without the lurid spearmint stuff. The tools are quite powerful, but the documentation isn’t even shit as it doesn’t exist. The only way to find anything out is google it and see what others have done, and that is assuming you can guess the name of the thing you are trying to change. Changing the node icon colours seems to need a masters degree in string theory, it is just ridiculously unfriendly.

10. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

The green is much kinder to the 'owl eyeballs.

11. Hook

Hook pfm Member

The new default green skin is looking pretty good to me right now.

12. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

Does https://xenforo.com/help/manual/ offer no help?

13. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

It's getting so there's something fishy about it....:cool:

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Sadly it is barely a pamphlet. There have to be many hundreds of configurable elements just in the styling area, yet they manage to cover it in a short page! Just a simple clickable map telling you what each design element had been named and where in the baffling deeply-nested menu structure it resided would go a heck of a long way!

PS For anyone genuinely interested there is an admin demo available over on the www.xenforo.com site. You get a virtual site to play with for a day or two.

15. kitemap

kitemap PT1 Xerxes Rock

Tony,
    I've been away for a couple of weeks and it looks like you've moved hosts. Are we going to be able to use Tapatalk with the new site?

D

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Same host, different forum software! You shouldn’t need Tapatalk (which is malware IMHO), XenForo works great on a smartphone/tablet. I certainly won’t be installing TT as it steals ad revenue and acts as a back-door for scammers!

17. kitemap

kitemap PT1 Xerxes Rock

Okay thank you, I'll check out XenFora.

I've just checked with my phone and I don't need any forum viewer anyway as it all works fine as it is.

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

FWIW I bought the Bravium skin mentioned earlier, installed it in a hidden developing testing context and noticed I was getting their ad branding at the bottom of all pages on all skins, e.g. this one that has absolutely nothing to do with them at all. As such I’ve totally lost my shit with them, removed it, sent a very rude support email and opened a PayPal dispute to get my cash back. If they want to advertise here they pay me, not the other way around!

Looks like I am developing my own skin then...

19. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Looks to me like you're getting there rapidly!

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There is plenty I still don’t understand. I’ve been searching for hours trying to find the two bars top and bottom of the thread display view (top one grey, bottom one still ugly fluorescent green) and I can’t find them for the life of me. I’ve got the last of the blinding white though! Node icons (which are just bewilderingly complex and embedded) aside I've now got the front page looking about right, though I would like to lose all the gradients and flatten it if I can figure out how to. There have to be serveral thousand options in the style area, few of which have a title that actually means anything to me! My mind isn’t as good as it was so I kind of lose track where I am a bit too, which doesn’t help! It is getting there though abd ultimately I like the idea of a lightweight bog-standard skin rather than complex java-script-driven third party stuff.