1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Thatcher and punk rock

Discussion in 'music' started by Joe Hutch, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41567141

Margaret Thatcher was briefed on the Sex Pistols and other punk bands in preparation for an interview with Smash Hits, newly released papers show.

The PM was told she "may not enjoy" the 1987 interview but must show she was "still in touch with youngsters".

Her officials described punk as a "very basic musical style featuring a strange bunch of anti-establishment acts".

[...]

In advance, she was warned that she may be asked "superficial questions which betray a lack of understanding" but the title had a huge circulation and she must appear "confident and relaxed".

"You may not enjoy this interview," the briefing stated. "The challenge of the interview will be for you to demonstrate that just because you are not part of the pop scene, you are still in touch with youngsters and understand their needs."

In preparation, Mrs Thatcher was briefed about current chart acts and also given a short history of punk music, despite the fact it had long petered out as a commercial and cultural force.

"The punk era which hit the music world between 1976-1978 was a very basic musical style featuring a strange bunch of anti-establishment acts, most famous of which were The Sex Pistols with songs such as God Save The Queen and Anarchy In The UK," the note read.

"Other punk acts such as The Clash and The Damned were popular for a while but when the Sex Pistols split up in 1978 the style died out, to be replaced by the current technological musical era featuring computers, synthesizers and videos."

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Surely everyone was gurning at bleeps and repetitive beats high on disco biscuits by 1987? They should have sent her to meet Shaun Ryder. I’d have paid good money to watch that.

3. Joe Hutch

I was knee-deep in nappies by then, and at 33 considered myself way too old to keep up with the pop scene. It was the year The Smiths broke up, that I do know. Husker Du also called it a day.

4. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

On the theme of Thatcher and music, I wondered to myself earlier why aren't there more mainstream music protests to all the shit that's going on these days. I listened to Lennon Legend earlier and a lot of songs on it such as Give Peace A Chance don't faff about when it comes to saying what's what. Punk did it. There was lots of protest music back in the day, I'm sure, but what about now, is Justin Beiber, One Direction, and other mainstream music the new opiate of the masses? I'm sure it hasn't always been like that. I'm only 44, so maybe it has.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There are, they are just over in the rap genre. That is unquestionably where things are happening these days even if many of our age seldom notice.

6. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

Ah, I guess my finger isn't quite on the right beets and pulses. Beyoncé is as contemporary as it gets for me.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

She’s quite political in her own way. I don’t know her work well at all, but I get the impression the Lemonade album was fairly pointed lyrically.

PS Some modern stuff is amazingly complex lyrically, I actually need an instruction manual to figure out what say Kendrick Lamar is on about it is so layered in double meaning etc. His last album, Damn, apparently being quite deeply religious much to my surprise. Thankfully there are websites that decode this stuff to an extent even middle-aged white guys can figure it out!

8. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

D'Angelo is very musically complex as well as Kendrick, it sounds pretty subdued at first then when you start to hear more and more of what is going on - it's almost a brain overload.

9. merlin

merlin pfm Member

[YOUTUBE]-K6YWX4OL0o[/YOUTUBE]

10. Joe Hutch

It is sometimes argued, a-historically, that punk was a reaction to Thatcher. An alternative, posited by Julie Burchill amongst others, is that punk, with its 'do it yourself' attitude, caused Thatcherism.