1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Discussion in 'classical' started by TheDecameron, Oct 31, 2017.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

R3 live in concert, Rachel Podger with Brecon Baroque: Veracini Sonata No.12

2. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Listened to that in the car tonight. Very enjoyable, but I do find the tone of her violin a bit shrill at times.

Now: Guy/Papavrami Beethoven violin sonatas.

3. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

Artur Rubinstein and the Paganini Quartet playing Faure's Piano Quartet No 1.

4. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Earlier today I listened to Bach cantatas conducted by Suzuki (post lost in ‘the crash’).
    Later today I listened to Bach cantatas conducted by Gardiner. The Penguin guide tells me that Suzuki makes a better job of it but I’m likely too lumpen to realize it. The SQ of Gardiner’s Archiv recordings is superior to the BIS disc, though.

5. Citroen2CV

Citroen2CV Well-Known Member

Mahler Sym No 5, Bernstein, NYPO
    [​IMG]

6. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

On the train this morning: Villa-Lobos, Bachianas Brasilieras - New World Symphony, Michael Tilson-Thomas. Wonderful - why is this music not in the core repertoire?

7. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

I love the sound of Villa-Lobos in the morning - especially Bachianas brasileiras No.2: IV Tocata (The Little Train of the Caipira) :)

[YOUTUBE]gwHEZwNtYBY[/YOUTUBE]

8. TheDecameron

Suzuki, BCJ: Bach Orchestral Suite 3 Overture.

9. TheDecameron

Adrian Boult, LPO: Elgar Pomp and Circumstance March No.1

10. TheDecameron

Lorraine Hunt Lieberson: Handel, Ombra Mai Fu

11. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

12. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

[​IMG]

Since it has been scientifically shown that it is impossible to 1.) have too many recordings of Mahler 1, and 2.) have too many recordings by Rafael Kubelik, it follows that this should be a fine recording. But it is more than that. Though the now aged sound suffers from limited dynamic range and less than ideal clarity, with the former the bigger problem, the slightly distant perspective offers a full aural glimpse of the orchestra, and what Kubelik does with it is magnificent. The best stuff is in the opening movement, which sounds unusually comfortable and flowing. It is definitely restrained most of the time, and it sounds largely sunny in disposition and evokes an idyllic view of nature at least as well as any version I've heard. The second movement is weighty but not pressed, while the third is folksy and vulgar and somber and tuneful in proper proportion. The final movement suffers a bit from the limited dynamic range, but Kubelik generates ample excitement, and in the slow passages, he gets some more of that just right feel evident in the first movement. This is one of the great Mahler Firsts.

Amazon UK link

13. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

Khovanshchina - Act 4 & 5
    Modest Petrovich Mussorgsky
    Radio 3.

Just catching the end.

14. Citroen2CV

Totally agree! :)

Only have Symphony 1, 2, 4 and 9 Kubelik versions, not the one you quote but includes this No 1.
    [​IMG]

15. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

As frequently happens, the thread has prompted me to rifle through a neglected section and start to play it. (One of the things I like about having the library on JRiver is that I can play an entire artist/composer/genre until I've had enough, with just one click.)

Having to 'make do' with Bernard Haitink and the Concertgebouw as I don't have any Kubelik (yet.)

Love Mahler, but with so many references, am I the only one who sometimes struggles to identify which symphony is which? :)

16. herb

herb music live

Gyorgy Ligeti Concertos for Cello, Piano and for 13 instrumentalists. Etudes for piano books 1 and 2.

Then I could not resist John Coltrane Live in Japan 1966. CDs 3 and 4.

17. Citroen2CV

The Haitink's I've heard certainly make do for me ;)

[​IMG]

18. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

19. rough edges

rough edges pfm Member

Violin concertos...
    Beethoven/Tetzlaff, Brahms/Hahn and Tchaikovsky/Batiashvili.

BB

20. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

Agreed: I have the big box Symphonies set by Haitink and can't fault any of them.

Having said that, I seem to be increasingly drawn to live performances (despite their drawbacks) and the Abbado/BPO Mahler 1 playing now is particularly fine, imo.