1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Discussion in 'classical' started by TheDecameron, Oct 31, 2017.

1. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Cédric Tiberghien's recording of Bartók's Mikrokosmos 5, Allegro barbaro, Bagatelles etc.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bartok-Mikrokosmos-Tiberghien-Hyperion-CDA68133/dp/B01JNP055W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510004555&sr=8-3&keywords=tiberghien+bartok
    Bought last night at Wigmore Hall, where he gave an interesting programme that started with Prokofiev's Visions Fugitives (20 miniatures I'd not heard yet) and continued with Philippe Hersant's In Black (written for him). Very enjoyable concert by a superb young(ish) pianist.

2. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

3. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Bartok: Music for Strings, Percussion & Celesta - Seiji Ozawa & Saito Kinen Orchestra. I'd forgotten I had this SACD until Todd covered it in his Concerto for Orchestra survey.

next up - Martinu: Concerto for double string orchestra, piano & timpani. James Conlon/Orchestre National de France

4. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

5. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

6. soileduk

soileduk pfm Member

7. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

8. Citroen2CV

Citroen2CV Well-Known Member

Elgar Cello Concertos - Du Pre
    [​IMG]

And from the composer himself
    [​IMG]

9. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

Schumann Symphony No.3, Szell & Cleveland.

10. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

11. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

Having a break from 'Great Works' this morning: Ibert, followed by some Alkan, maybe even some G & S later on. Sometimes, playful seems to suit the mood.

12. clogman

clogman pfm Member

13. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

14. FrankF

FrankF pfm Member

[​IMG]

Had not played this in quite some time and surprised the performance was much better than I seemed to remember.

15. adamdea

adamdea pfm Member

Heard this in a Remembrance Day service yesterday. New to me and very moving.
    #

16. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

CD6 of Gulda's box of Beethoven piano sonatas, incl. the Waldstein (Brilliant Classics re-issue of the Amadeo).
    [​IMG]
    Despite repeated attempts over the years, I still struggle with this set at times. I admire the energy and ease, but the dry sound and generally fast tempi are probably just not my thing. Some sonatas sound unrelenting, others a bit casual, while others are quite lovely.

17. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

18. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Night Ride and Sunrise from this superb disc that's been played regularly since I obtained it 20 years ago.
    [​IMG]

19. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

20. herb

herb music live

Today

Mozart Symphonies 24,25,29 and 31. The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock from the Archiv boxset.

Mike Westbrook Glad Day, Settings of William Blake, a sort of Jazz Cabaret octet.