1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Detectorists

Discussion in 'off topic' started by blossomchris, Nov 4, 2017.

1. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Looking forward to this big time, Weds BBC4 10pm.

Bloss

2. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Same here. One of the very few amusing things on TV.

3. ghostbusters

ghostbusters pfm Member

Me too as long as they havent struck it rich in the interim :)

4. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

now funny you should open this thread . some friends of ours have just found some amazing coins and scrolls and all sorts of antiquities in a cave in a country in the middle east . they just emailed us what to do but from the look of it , it would be priceless . some looks arabic and christian scrolls . incredible eh . we advised them to contact british museum but presumably this stuff belongs to the country concerned

5. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Yep, looking forward to the final series starting this week.

Also, Motherland starts its first series this week, after a very promising pilot.

6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

i can see the sales of metal detectors rising !!

7. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Brilliant! Many thanks for the heads-up. Strange that such a popular series should be stuck away at that time on BBC4 though.

8. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Oops! ignore. :)

9. Ginger

Ginger pfm Member

We just watched the first two seasons on Netflix. I thought it was brilliant. Far more subtle and thoughtful than I expected. Looking forward to the new one as well.

And I fancy a detector....mustn't go there...

10. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

And even more strange that it's actually on BBC4.

One of the best comedies of all time IMHO.

Stephen

11. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

I loved the first two series. A truly funny but utterly relaxing and gentle watch.

And Rachel Stirling lights up the screen whenever she appears.

Wonderful stuff.

Mull

12. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I never expected to enjoy it as much as I did.

13. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Love this...was completely addicted.

14. nicetone

nicetone pfm Member

Great, gentle, comedy which amply rewards the engagement with the characters and story lines.

Only discovered it when both series were repeated this year - too distracted by other things to pick up on the first showings. Bought the DVD to cheer up a sick relative (not in the UK) who also loved it. Great acting - the main players, McKenzie Crook (depth of talent as the writer) and Toby Jones, Rachel Stirling - in particular.

Apart from W1A (brilliant, exactly!), not much comedy on the BBC grabs me these days. The Apprentice used to be a good fall back, but for some time I’ve been finding it just a bit too cringe worthy!

15. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Such gentle humour, beautifully paced, tbh I'm surprised it was even commissioned.

16. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

Probably because from the BBC perspective of their 'Head of Output' :

“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better,”

;)

17. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Brilliant, yes, exactly.

18. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

No, crap.

19. nicetone

nicetone pfm Member

:D:D

Blimey

20. Hummel

Hummel New Member

This was exactly my reaction too. I love it.