1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Detectorists

Discussion in 'off topic' started by blossomchris, Nov 4, 2017.

1. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Someone missing the joke here?

2. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Not that I'm being funny or anything...

3. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

Yeah nooo..

4. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Yeah sure ok

5. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

So that's all good.

Shall we move on?

6. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Roll on Wednesday evening

Bloss

7. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Absolutely

8. thedanfan

thedanfan pfm Member

I thought he'd finally found a treasure right at the end of S2?

9. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

Heads Up!! Don't forget Episode 1 tonight.. 10:00pm BBC4

avole likes this.
  10. slavedata

slavedata pfm Member

Well I enjoyed the first episode, continuing in the style of the previous series. Set up an interesting storyline.

11. nicetone

nicetone pfm Member

I thought the first episode was very promising and in part (the ending), brilliant.

It possibly may have been a little slow to ‘get going’, but I thought patience will be rewarded and I was enjoying it anyway. However, the sequence at the end, from where Andy found the hawk whistle, caught me by surprise and I found it both very clever and moving. The passing of people and time portrayed through the beautiful rural landscape and against the haunting track by The Unthanks, was, for me, masterful, and sent shivers down my back - still does when I re-play it in my head.

Sorry if this comes across as OTT guys, but what the heck, sometimes you‘ve just got to say it. I’ve been in to folk music for over 45 years, so perhaps I’m more susceptible to this sort of thing.

I’ll be watching the episode again on iPlayer.

12. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Oddly, I am not into folk music, but it only adds to the enjoyment of this show.
    Watched it this morning, and no doubt will again also.

Bloss

13. zippy

zippy pfm Member

Watched it (Motherland) last night and didn't think much of it - she's not a comedy actor, and I think it shows.

14. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

Motherland is trying far too hard and reduces the characters to types. Quite the opposite to Detectorists, which seems to slip effortlessly into a languid groove and gives everybody, even the bit parts, room to breathe. Where can I buy a pair of gloomy trousers?

15. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Yeah, I pretty much agree with that. There's more charicaturing in Motherland but I think it's well done and very funny nevertheless.

Detectorists is exceptional though. I agree with the comments above about its use of folk music and images of the English countryside - beautiful and moving. And your comment about giving characters space to breathe is spot on. I would add that it's one of the few dramas/comedies I've seen that gives ordinary working people (as opposed to the wealthy and professional classes) a rich inner life. Most of the characters in Detectorists are holding down pretty boring jobs or are out of work, but they are interested in history and the world around them in a way that's rarely seen in drama.

Detectorists is a gem and will bear repeated viewings. Motherland is a laugh and passes the time.

16. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Detectorists, given a few seasons to mature, could become a new 'Last of the Summer Wine'.

17. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

New series of Alexi Sayle's Sandwich Bar on Radio 4 today at 6.30pm.

I'm posting to remind myself... :confused:

18. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Not sure you are up to speed with this one.

Bloss

19. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Detectorists has returned on form. I think Motherhood is hilarious.
    Totally OT but the Frankenstein chronicles on ITV encore is worth a gruesome watch.

20. najb

najb pfm Member

Got it recorded, 10pm is WAY past my horlicks and bedtime these days. We were frustrated that we were not around for the filming sessions held at The Crown in Little Glemham back in June. Not sure how many people responded to the request for extras, but I would have happily sat for hours sipping beer.

Motherhood sounds horrific, in all ways.

Alexei Sayle's sandwich shop is a repeat?