1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Fall...

Discussion in 'music' started by Mr Cat, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

ok, guys, I'm a fan of the fall but hardly have anything by them - 'bend sinister' and some some old cd singles..

what is their best stuff then? :)

2. unit

unit pfm Member

Live at the Witch Trials

3. unit

unit pfm Member

The Real New Fall LP (Formerly Country on the Click)

4. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

Each new Fall album is puffed up as a great return to form, so why not try their latest release?

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Live At The Witch Trials and This Nation’s Saving Grace are my favourites along with a few singles. Lots of other decent stuff, but if I were to own two Fall albums (I think I only have five, but have heard a lot more) those would be the two.

6. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

As a fan since 1978 who has every regular album...get them all! Actually no that’s silly - the 2 Tony mentions are ace, add Hex Enduction Hour and take it from there for early period stuff.

7. RickyC6

8. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

Dyspeptic Cartwheel Forecast (Tesco Timeshift)

9. RickyC6

Imperial Wax Solvent is the best Fall album title that actually is a Fall album, closely followed by Cerebral Caustic.

10. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Grotesque and the Slates EP represent the absolute pinnacle of The Fall for me.

After those, I'd go for Hex Enduction Hour and draGnet. The sound quality of the latter is "interesting".

11. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Can you elaborate on this please?

12. toozeup

toozeup pfm Member

I've heard rumours from a couple of promoters that the upcoming gig at the Koko club in London will be their last due Mark E Smith's health issues.

13. RickyC6

I was jokingly following on from the previous post. Which isn’t an actual Fall album title.

14. RickyC6

Blimey.

Of course the real gold lies in the Peel Sessions box set. They regularly outdid the versions that came out on albums here. The Grotesque era being a good example. Container Drivers and New Face In Hell session versions are far better.

15. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

cheers guys, some good info to get started with.. :)

I do hope he's able to keep going somehow :(

16. RickyC6

Hearing a rumour that whatever ailment MES is suffering from, it’s terminal. Bloody hell.

17. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Aah, very good. I was hoping for an analysis of the various line-ups over the years...

18. deek

deek pfm Member

19. RickyC6

20. RickyC6

Granny on bongos etc