1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Fall...

Discussion in 'music' started by Mr Cat, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

There's no bad Fall album.

Apart from 'Witch Trials', I would start with the Beggars Banquet Years with the 'Frenz Experiment' and 'I am Kurious Oranj' being favourites of mine.

2. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

Are you certain? I’m sure that’s what the record shop guy told me it was called when I asked last night - it was just before the plane flew off with him holding on to the rudder. Perhaps it was a dream - shame, it sounded fantastic.

3. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Seconded.

Course the answer is to buy every album they made
    Except some of the poor quality live ones

Cherry picking..
    A sides
    B sides
    Bend sinister
    Cerebral Caustic
    Code : Selfish
    Fiend with a violin
    Grotesque

that's a selection only
    want more ?
    :)

4. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

ah yes, I have got 'Frenz Experiment' - must be in the loft on either cassette or vinyl...
    and thinking about it - i have another album in the loft, i seem to remember the lyrics were - hey there **** face...who killed the nazis...

any ideas?

5. Seeker_UK

Hex Enduction Hour.

6. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

wow...thanks..!

7. Marmite

Marmite tea jenny

For me it's the period from 1988's Frenz Experiment up to 1991's Shift-Work. Some of their most coherent work with a great left-field pop sensibility. Probably a high water-mark as a live act around this time too.

I'll chuck in The Wonderful and Frightening World too, and for later albums I have a fondness for Post Reformation TLC.

Peel Sessions box is essential.

8. Seeker_UK

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/P1WPxMixvZ4?t=1026[/YOUTUBE]:cool:

9. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

I have a ticket for the London KOKO gig on 30/11. Could be a bit special. Could also be cancelled.

Mr Cat likes this.
  10. Durmbo

Durmbo Not French

Bend Sinister was my introduction to The Fall. It was their latest album. R.O.D - so black and menacing! Some of the best bass I'd ever heard! I went off it a bit after exploring the back catalogue, although I came to appreciate it again later.

Personal favourites: Witch Trials, Dragnet, Grotesque, Slates, Hex, Bend Sinister. Not that fussed on the poppy Brix era as a whole. I feel Perverted By Language is their most beautiful album - or the only one with any beauty, that I know of! Early Fall is an excellent compilation.

It is very sad news to hear of MES's health and outlook, if it is as reported here.

Yeah. I hope it's something to enjoy, if it goes ahead.

Mr Cat likes this.
  11. rdf

rdf Active Member

I used to be a bit of a Fall nut. I rarely listen to them now, but when I do it's almost always "Grotesque". I have a soft spot for "Shift Work" too.

Mr Cat likes this.
  12. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

I tuned in during the Brix era, and if ever I'm in a Fall mood I normally drag out one of those records. Hex is also a cracker, and I quite liked the more recent Your Future Our Clutter.

Mr Cat likes this.
  13. deek

deek pfm Member

I was just listening to Extricate an hour or so ago - I do forget how enjoyable some of the 90's albums were.

I also realised how many other bands I got into via The Fall / MES... The Monks, Can, Link Wray. I can't remember how I got into The Fall though!

Mr Cat likes this.
  14. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

yep, there are lots of bands whom I can't remember how I got into - as this was way before the likes of youtube, and the indie type bands I liked were seldom on the radio apart from the likes of john peel etc... and I never really bought magazines like NME either... tho, i did have a few mates who were into music, but even without them I somehow discovered new stuff... :)

15. Lowand

Lowand pfm Member

Slates and Country on the Click are favourites for me.

16. rdf

rdf Active Member

I fell away from new Fall records when I stopped being able to tell a word MES said.

17. deek

deek pfm Member

I know what you mean, less 'uh' and more 'ggrrrRRoowowwrrr'

18. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

You need to upgrade your system !

:)