1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Florilegium Series - Medieval & Renaissance & others

Discussion in 'classical' started by mercalia, Aug 26, 2017.

1. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

I came across this by accident , seems like
    Decca have released as a massive boxset of 50 cds , Medieval & Renaissance - The Florilegium Series, music from their back catalogue incl Consort of Musicke, Medieval Ensemble of London and material by Philipp Picket etc

Any one here heard of this box set before, only came out in 2016 it seems

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...es-medieval-and-renaissance-review-box-set-50

http://www.deccaclassics.com/gb/cat/4788104

not sure if its complete ( dont think it has all of Dowlands by Consort of Musicke ) but has the rare Le Chansonnier Cordiforme on it - I have the LP boxset

2. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

3. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

I think there are other mega box sets covering other periods incl Christopher Hogwoods work

4. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

5. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

Does it give you much trouble?

6. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Not if I team it up with some Barolo.

7. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

well I received today my copy. Has a contents on one of the cube faces so -

It doesnt replace
    the Complete Dufay Secular boxset by ML
    Byrd My Ladye Nevells Booke
    Fitzwilliam Virginal Book ( a very nice LP set )
    or Dowlands various Bookes of Songs - only the first here
    or the Carmina Burana ( only number 1 )

comes with a 200 page booklet

8. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

cd 9 Knightly Passions - The songs of Oswald von Wolkenstein - Phillip Picket

I havent heard this before and the recording is fine with beafy heartful singing which makes it enjoyable just as well... However Oswald may be a great wordsmith but not a tunesmith - his tunes generally quite monotonous though they have a good dance beat so probably went down well in the taverns

cd 19-21 The Chansonnier Cordiforme on 3 cds has some great tunes but the gentle tonality will test your hifi system to sort out the voices. I have the LPs and wondered whether this was just the LPs but no the cds much the same.

9. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

cd 10-11 Johannes Ockeghem complete secular music

Unlike Wolkenstein, Ockeghem is also a tune-smith with very tunefull and haunting melodies. The recording is also fine and natural

re the Wolkenstein. I was listening to an old Das Alte Werk recording of his songs which is far more tuneful - soloists are Doris Linser soprano, Kurt Equiluz Tenor, Hermann Vogl Bariton/Kammerchores Walther von der Vogelweide leader Othmar Costa ( 1974). I think the "trouble" with the Decca recording the males singers are growling basses. I cant say which is more accurate, but the Das Alte Werk on LP, the singers are more expressive in the language

10. neilmack

neilmack pfm Member

The Australian Eloquence label had previously issued the Chansonnier Cordiforme (I think for the first time on CD) http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Australian+Eloquence/ELQ4801819

This set, though very attractive (and well priced) sets the collector a problem, since it doesn't include all of the discs from O-L Florilegium's various projects. Has the complete Dufay secular music been issued on CD? I can't remember seeing it.

11. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

re the Chansonnier Cordiforme - I didnt know it was ever available - but cheaper at £2 a cd in the mega set. I am not convinced the sound is top notch, unlike that of the Medieval Ens cds which are mostly very clear and a pleasure to listen to

Prestoclassical have it -- http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Australian+Eloquence/ELQ4801819

on cd = 3cds so is the same as in the mega boxset, Presto blurb says its the complete collection £15.75

Yes I have the Dufay set. The Medieval Ensembles 5 cd boxset used to be available I think not now. Cost me £24 from HMV Oxford St ( Now that tells you how long ago) I think PrestoClassical have a download of them -
    http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/search.php?searchString=dufay+complete++secular

The set is not without its critics - see the Amazon reviews -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dufay-Secu...505907275&sr=8-1&keywords=Dufay+secular+music

the one from the musicologist. "Good but a bit outdated"

well the cds sound fine to my tolerant ears.

I have both these on cd now and LP.

PrestoClassical seem to have their own "label" of music that the original producers dont publish any more - producing their own cds and using the same artwork etc, licensed from the original producer? I think the Chansonnier one of them?

Margaret Philpot -at the bottom of the PrestoClassical item says her career cut short - I assume she died? What happened there any one know?

12. neilmack

neilmack pfm Member

Nothing dates as fast as "period" performance styles. But the musicologist can keep his up to date ideas - if a musical performance works, it works. Michael Morrow and Musica Reservata still knock most early music groups into a cocked hat.

Presto announced their own "special pressing" or reprint label a while back. I don't know whether the Chansonnier Cordiforme they offer now is one of their own - mine is a standard Australian Eloquence issue.

That's sad. I thought her so good that I would buy a record on the strength of her name on the sleeve. I wish Universal would reissue the excellent disc she made with Michael Morrow of Josquin des Pres. Hers is the most affecting performance of the Deploration "Nymphes des bois" I have heard.

13. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

Ah some one else who remembers Musica Reservata (with Jantinna Noorman) with fondness?

I didnt know Noorman was Dutch and also a folk singer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqpcXIONk1c

And was influenced to a Balkan musical style by a Bert Lloyd, a folklorist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjToYw0ErAw- carried on by Mara Kiek, Bella Domna?

http://www.semibrevity.com/2016/03/...-work-of-michael-morrow-and-musica-reservata/

some interesting snippets there - eg

"Morrow studied fine art in Dublin before settling in London in the mid 50s where he took a job operating the musical fountains at a Moroccan restaurant in Piccadilly Circus. He sat inside a control booth pulling levers to make the fountains squirt water in time to music." Thats about as humble a beginnings as you can get?

14. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

Another of the series boxset with the Consort of Musicke at a modest price of around £19

Musicke of Sundrie Kindes boxset ( was on 4 lps ) here 4 cds

I was surprised to see this as a cd boxset reissue! I only ever saw one LP copy 2nd hand long time ago

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Musicke-Sundrie-Kindes-Skinner-Consort/dp/B004LXM5T6

I only came across this by accident when I pulled my 4LP boxset out to listen after goodness knows years and did a google to see what was said about it ( The internet didnt exist when I first got the boxset ....)

rather unexpected review on the Amazon website of some one who bought it...

By Anthony Rooley on 1 October 2015
    Format: Audio CD|Verified Purchase
    excellent - but then, I was the Director!

is this for real lol

The main interest for me is a very young Emma Kirkby and a very young but still perfect voice!

15. kumachan

kumachan pfm Member

16. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

I didnt read that but I do know where he is or has been but dont see the relevance: he was just one of how many that made the performances on the pickett cds? I am not a "fan" person I just like the music - in the middle ages performers/troubadours were lowest of the low and lucky to be paid or fed, personally insignificant to their employers? They did a job just as much as some one working in the kitchens. A sensible attitude compared to the way we think these days ( why I never clap at concerts )

17. DGP

DGP pfm Member

Just finished ripping Musica Reservata's Kalenda Maya from a much cherished LP. Never did make it onto CD as far as I know.

There's some fine MR on the Vanguard Classics double CD Instruments of the Middle Ages & Renaissance - disk 1 pushes the patience of some CD players though with 91 tracks!
    DGP

18. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

I listened to that again after a long time. I cant but think that Jantina Noorman is over the top with Kalenda Maya. Way too hard and pugalistic? Not all her singing is like that fortunately