1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The NHS want the Brexit cash they were promised

Discussion in 'off topic' started by The Far North, Nov 8, 2017.

1. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

No need to cover old ground on this one as there have been many threads, but is it brave or stupid of Mr Stevens to believe that the politicians will actually deliver a significant proportion of the £350m/week?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41908302

2. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Why is everyone trying to get fired these days ? Have the pay-offs for Govt/public sector firings just been increased ?

3. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

I doubt he believes the claims and, even if he did, he wants extra money now rather than whenever we actually leave the EU. He's just trying to get extra money for his service with some headline grabbing statements, which I guess is part of his job.

4. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

Health Secretary Chunt has said that the £350 million a week won't happen until Brexit is a massive monetary success. There is more chance of him living in Buckingham Palace.

He also stated that the £350 million promise isn't government policy, but stopped short of saying it was a lie made up by Johnson.

Jack

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  5. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

It will be very interesting to see how this pans out, on so many different levels!

6. billo

billo pfm Member

It will be interesting to hear what Boris (or even Shakespeare) has to say on this matter

7. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Unfortunately all that cash is tied up in various tax-avoiding offshore accounts. Still, never mind eh? At least we’ve got our country back/taken back control/keeping Johnny Foreigner out.

8. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Kind of a last ditch attempt by Simon Stevens to try to attract public support for the funding desperately needed as we head into winter, to make up for his failure to negotiate this with the Treasury in the first place.

He's probably got 6 months or less left in the job so this is his final throw of the dice.

9. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Ha ironically Brexit is the straw that will finally break the NHS back.

10. andrewd

andrewd pfm Member

The government will need to find 80 billion to pay the divorce bill to EU, so more likely that the NHS budget will be halved. I think the fairest way to address this is to close all the hospitals in areas that voted for Brexit.

11. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

And refuse treatment to all Tory MP's who voted out against the majority views of their constituents. Or at least it would be a goer but I doubt there are many Tory MP's without private medical insurance.

12. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

Just as a matter of interest, do MPs have access to private health insurance via Parliament or via their party, or is it entirely a private matter?

TheDecameron likes this.
  13. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The irony is that Farage, Mogg, Banks, Tice and the rest, while demanding money back from the EU to pay the NHS, were dodging tax on an industrial scale while the rest of us cough up to keep public services on life support.
    I even heard the blathering Tory Kirsty Alsop on QT trying to disappear this shit with the most ridiculous example of whataboutery we've been treated to in a long time- "the lower classes are just as guilty because they buy duty free at airports".

14. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

I do hope the UK has the balls to organise No Tax riots next year - aimed at scaring the shit out of those who destroy society for their own personal gain. Militant? Sure. After 30 years I've given up on moderate.

15. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

The government won't have to find any 80 billion for the divorce bill merely pay what they've already agreed to as EU fiscal planning is done over a period of years and we leave before one we have already signed up for ends, it's another falsehood from the leave crowd.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr, PsB and TheDecameron like this.
  16. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Lie: because of Brexit, we will have £350m a week extra for the NHS
    Reality: because of Brexit, the NHS is no longer affordable

17. nicetone

nicetone pfm Member

I don’t normally watch QT - too depressing - but I switched on as Liz Truss was answering the tax dodging question saying how much had been/was being done by comparison with Labour etc, etc. Truss, Kirsty Allsop, and Charles Moore (who had already spoken but was chipping in) were all being defensive, sounding like apologists.

Allsop came up with the diversionary and spurious claim that there is a culture of tax dodging throughout the country, quoting duty free, ISAs, Premium Bonds, house sellers pricing just below the next higher stamp duty band, cash in hand payments. Moore added that everyone one selling their house (which therefore included most people in this country!!) effectively avoided paying capital gains tax on the proceeds.

It would have been easy to cut through all that BS, simply by saying that people buying duty free, or ISAs, or Premium Bonds, were doing so with money which in the vast majority of circumstances would have been net of tax already paid. Also, that whereas the likes of Allsop and Moore might own multiple houses as capital investments, the majority who own a house, own one house as occupiers. What was depressing was that no one, either from the panel (Stella Creasey was there for Labour) or the audience said anything like that and got side tracked by the minutiae. Pushover.

TheDecameron likes this.
  18. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

Looking like Theresa has made up her mind that Simon is to be the fall guy this winter, regardless of her policies. Pathetic.

The prime minister told Stevens that he would be held accountable for how well hospitals and GP services in England cope at a tense, previously unreported, meeting at Downing Street in September.
    Allies of the NHS England chief executive fear he is being lined up as “the fall guy” if a surge in seasonal illness this winter leaves hospitals struggling to meet sudden extra demand for care.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ill-be-accountable-for-nhs-winter-performance

19. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

This would explain his stance this week. If you corner a man and he has nothing to lose, don't be surprised if he fights as dirty as you do. Good for him.

20. Still

Still gyldengourd

Could the thread be expanded to 'General Purpose Seeking What Was Promised From Brexit' please?