1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Now Show. Radio 4

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Martyn Miles, Dec 17, 2017.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I do like In Our Time, it is consistently intelligent radio and it staggers me that he can go from Ancient Greece to quantum physics from one week to the next and still keep up with the guests.
    "Thank you to Professor Susan Jones of Cambridge University and Dr John Smith of Imperial College and their insight into the physical properties of the transition metals and how these have been exploited between the later Industrial Revolution and the present day. Next week we will be hearing from Dr Evaldes Stravinsky, who will be talking about the movements of the Nordic tribes between the 3rd and 8th centuries AD, the grammatical structures of Eastern European languages and their influence on 18th century Russian music. I do hope that you can join us."

I bet he doesn't waste his time looking at Homes Under The Hammer.

stephen bennett likes this.
  2. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

At least the quality of the stand up comics on TNS is consistent. They're all sh1t.

3. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

The Now Show used to be a beacon of excellence in the turgid ocean of mediocrity that is comedy on Radio 4 and the recordings full of Boozy profanity that never made to air (I particularly remember a spectacularly scathing rant form Dr Phil Hammond on the state of the NHS that deserved to be on the news). This current series is a different show. Not even the wonderful Hugh Dennis is enough to make me tune in each week any more. Incidentally, f anyone does go to a recording, the cast all used to go down the Yorkshire Grey in Riding House Street for a beer afterwards.

4. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

5. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

6. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles Trade: MGM Audio

Ah, the Money Programme.
    A Saturday staple for many a year...
    I find it interesting, but don’t always listen.

7. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Vivian Stanshall's Sir Henry at Rawlinsons End on 4 Extra at 11.45 tonight

8. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles Trade: MGM Audio

Could be worth a listen, if I can stay awake...

9. darrell_giant

darrell_giant pfm Member

10. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

stephen bennett likes this.
  11. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

One of my favourite things ever. More quotable than Python.

12. garyi

garyi leave blank

The Alexi ones I heard were great

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I will look up the Sir Henry thing on Listen agin. My chances of being conscious at 1145 on a school night are slim to none. It's infrequent on a non school night these days, post head injury. Ho hum.

14. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

I've noticed a marked deterioration in the quality of the comedians this season—was really surprised how poor Graham Fellows was last week too. His John Shuttlewiorth is usually good for a few laughs and I love his Brian Appleton's history rock roll.

Stephen

15. stephen bennett

I heard that episode of In our time—an excellent overview of the Nordic God's propensity towards the destruction of dwellings.

Stephen

stevec67 likes this.
  16. stephen bennett

If we are recommending, Radio 4 Extra is brilliant.

Recent goodies were Elastic Planet (all hail Oliver Postgate), The Mighty Boosh (excellent on the radio) and I'm quite ford of Tom Wrigglesworth's hang-ups and Joseph Morpurgo's Walking Tour.

Oh and Ed Reardon's week, of course. Jeremy Hardy Feels... Happy should be good but I suspect if your leanings are to the right of the political spectrum you may not agree.

Stephen

17. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Now (posting at 1:30 am) I would love to have seen that. I watched it in a scruffy cinema somewhere near Marble Arch when it was first released, maybe 1978? As someone has already said, infinitely quotable. Trevor Howard as he had never been seen, and that was only the beginning of it.

18. stephen bennett

The pictures really are better on the radio ...

Stephen

19. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Quick shout out for Absolute Power on 4 extra tonight. Stephen Fry and John Bird as a pair of unprincipled PR Consultants working for the government in the early 2000's. Some gentle fun poking of New Labour in series 2 tonight, not so gentle in series 3 when they cover Hutton. Not one for the Blairites.