1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

tramadol smuggling ?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by hifinutt, Nov 10, 2017.

1. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

i know a number take tramadol , seems it is not allowed to take to egypt ? seems s bit odd

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41943837

A British woman being held in Egypt on drug smuggling charges says she had "no idea" the prescription painkillers she was carrying were banned there.

Laura Plummer, 33, is due in court on Saturday accused of smuggling 300 tablets of Tramadol, a painkiller that is legal in the UK but not in Egypt.

The shop assistant from Hull says they were given to her for her Egyptian boyfriend's "back problems".

Local police says that ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Ms Plummer's relatives hope the judge at her custody hearing in the Red Sea Resort of Hurghada on Saturday will believe she made an innocent mistake - drug smuggling can be punishable by death in Egypt.

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

Did she have a prescription for said prescription drug? It could help her defence considerably. From an Egyptian perspective, Id have thought their tourist business is on its knees already without this sort of publicity.....add to the list of places to avoid along with Dubai.

3. stuwils

stuwils pfm Member

300 tramadol ? given to her by a colleague and she did not look in the bag ? get real.....lock her up.
    Rgds
    Stuart

Mr Cat, Bob McC and Rob998 like this.
  4. djftw

djftw Heterodox Member

Hull is (somewhat) local to me and there has been a lot of discussion about this on the radio. I might be a bit more sympathetic (and I suspect the Egyptian judiciary might be be more understanding) if she had been carrying Tramadol that was prescribed to the boyfriend, or even herself. As it was prescribed to 'a friend' she must surely have realised what she was doing was not legit. I'm sure Humberside Police would have been interested in possession with intent to supply that quantity... Egyptian law is obviously somewhat over the top, but I don't quite buy this 'innocent mistake' business...

5. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

As someone who took tramadol for a few years I know how addictive and powerful they are. My Dr was very careful to monitor my usage and would never allow me to have more than 2 months supply on repeat prescription.

I suspect she bought them from one of the online pharmacy sites where they do the dodgy prescriptions.

I do agree that ignorance of the law is no excuse and she is guilty.

6. the_bat

the_bat pfm Member

But only with a prescription. We're not talking about a few paracetamol here. It's a very strong opiate painkiller which doctors are (or should be) wary of prescribing because of the potential addiction issues, and generally only dispense in limited quantities. 390 tablets is a lot.

7. starbuck

starbuck pfm Member

Its okay, I've just read that Boris Johnson has taken a personal interest in the case so I expect she will be home in no time.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and fatmarley like this.
  8. TheDecameron

They're showing they're tough on western depravity-aka a woman in possession 5 week supply of a prescription medicine. Meanwhile they imprison and kill political opponents or casually torture an Italian PhD student to death for his research into trade unionism in Egypt. What's not to like about a Red Sea package holiday?- the death sentence for some Tramadol or getting blown up one your flight home.

9. djftw

djftw Heterodox Member

Well that's that sorted then, no doubt he'll get the Suez Canal back while he's there!

[​IMG]

hifinutt likes this.
  10. TheDecameron

...in a coffin if he opens his mouth.

Mr Cat likes this.
  11. Cav

Cav pfm Member

She had prescription drugs that were not prescribed to her and did not think to check anywhere or with anyone whether taking such drugs into Egypt, for as I understand it, an Egyptian national who could not obtain such drugs in Egypt himself, was legal or not?

12. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

I'm sure Tramadol is not "banned" in Egypt, but is only given with a prescription, possibly a special prescription for opioids.

13. Cav

Cav pfm Member

From the BBC link above: Tramadol is legal in the UK with a prescription but banned in Egypt where many are addicted to the opiate.

Whatever, smuggling it is illegal. Just like bringing heroin to the UK where it is legal on prescription...

14. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

She knew exactly what she was doing but unfortunately for her she chose to commit her crime in Egypt rather than the UK. If Boris gets involved she may well get another five years.

15. the_bat

the_bat pfm Member

390 tablets is rather more than a five week supply. at 4 tablets a day it's three months.

16. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

mmm , some good points made . i know in the past i have known people ask for letters from their GP to confirm legality of stuff they are carrying

17. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Stupid woman.

Mr Cat likes this.
  18. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Yup, they really need to worry about tramadol , must be top of the list,

The law is crazy, fine her & let her go, prison sentences for this nonsense... is utter nonsense.

19. the_bat

the_bat pfm Member

Apparently they do. From Cairo Scene

"Tramadol was ranked first among illicit drugs abused in Egypt in 2015, taken by 40.7 percent of drug users.
    After a surge in abuse among Egyptians, possessing the powerful opiate without a prescription was made a felony in 2014, carrying with it a possible sentence of several years in prison.
    The drug's initial affordability contributed to its widespread use, but with a rise in black market prices and crackdowns on the illegal sale of the drug, the price of Tramadol on the black market has skyrocketed"

20. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

Yeah, it’s only an illegal, powerfully addictive, and I assume a potentially very harmful, substance that she was smuggling. Let her go, it won’t encourage others to chance giving smuggling a go, will it?

When in Rome.