1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

tramadol smuggling ?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by hifinutt, Nov 10, 2017.

1. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

Yes, 300 is too many to be blase. I brought about 200 Xanax tablets back from Thailand when I came back to live here, as I was unfortunately a tad dependent on them. I was expecting a stretch if I got caught at either airport. My rather weak argument was I bought them over the counter in a Thai pharmacy. Which was true.

2. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I read somewhere that she was carrying it for a 'boyfriend'. Who has now distanced himself." Quelle Surprise!". Feel sorry for her, but stupid is as stupid does.

Mr Cat likes this.
  3. Cav

Cav pfm Member

If you go to a foreign country carrying prescription drugs that were not prescribed for you with the intent to give them to someone else who cannot legitimately obtain them for himself in that country without doing any basic research online or otherwise, then you can hardly expect sympathy even if you believe, as I do, that drugs should not be proscribed.

Mr Cat and Bob McC like this.
  4. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

If this stuff is a favourite for Egyptian druggies, and she comes in carrying 300 tablets with no plausible explanation or a prescription, it seems pretty likely she brought them in to sell on the illegal drug market. It also seems unlikely that a hypothetical boyfriend with back pain could not get an Egyptian doctor to prescribe suitable pain killers. They do have doctors, hospitals and pharmacies in Egypt.

5. Cav

Cav pfm Member

You presume and assume too much, I think, based on a news report.

If she comes to trial, then more might be known.

6. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

Rich, did you not have enough...apathy already ?

7. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Maximum prescription dose is 8 a day.

Wherever I travel I always carry a copy of my prescription for tramadol.

This idiot deserves to do time.

When in Rome.

And I always check the drug policy of any country I visit.

8. TheDecameron

Thank you.

9. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Many common prescription drugs are totally banned in various countries eg codeine in Malaysia.
    In practice anything sensitive like opiates and Xanax, travel with a sensible quantity and a copy of the prescription.
    Never carry anything for someone else, there are hordes of mules on death row all over SE Asia for that

10. merlin

merlin pfm Member

Tramadol was fine until the idiots started abusing it and mixing it with Coke. Now it's seen as a real problem world wide - even in Thailand you now need a prescription to get it. IMHO, any opiate needs to be controlled through medical services.

The stupid mare in this case is clearly lying and was smuggling opiates for either personal gain or other illegal activities. Good riddance. Why worry about a drug smuggler?

People are genuinely thick when it comes to researching local drugs laws. Here I often get asked when people can buy some weed - as if it's no big deal. Thick as pig shit.

11. TheDecameron

What a bleak depiction of humanity.

12. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

I tried taking tramadol once and the effects were so powerful I preferred putting up with the pain.

I really can't imagine taking four per day never mind eight.

13. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Darwin awards in progress. Most of SE Asia executes drug trafficers

14. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

You quickly get used to it, that's the problem. Then it's a complete bastard trying to come off the stuff.

15. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

That's a truly horrific avatar Tony, where did you find that?

16. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

Egyptian police say ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. That's a tired old phrase that gets used by the establishment here too, one I will never tire of rejecting. Apparently nobody even knows how many laws there are in the UK. That in mind, the statement is, of course, bollocks.

17. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Steve...b*llocks... (in the nicest way).

18. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Nobody carries 300 pills for someone else without knowing what they are. She expected to pay for her holiday romance with the proceeds. Deserves a bit of jail time.

19. Cav

Cav pfm Member

According to the BBC this mroning, the boyfriend does exist and has medical evidence of a back proplem so the motives ascribed by some above might be unfounded.

Might be mitigation but unlikely to prevent prosecution.

20. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

The BBC are clearly lying as merlin has pointed out, "The stupid mare in this case is clearly lying and was smuggling opiates for either personal gain or other illegal activities. Good riddance". And it's not like merlin ever gets anything wrong :)