1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

tramadol smuggling ?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by hifinutt, Nov 10, 2017.

1. moffer

moffer Active Member

I take 1000mg of paracetomol with my tramadol. A doctor once told me that the paracetomol helps absorb the tramadol more quickly into the bloodstream. Don't know how accurate that is but paracetomol certainly makes the tramadol more effective for me. It doesn't stop the pain altogether, but does ease it a fair bit. The only noticeable side effects I've had so far are very vivid dreams..some nice..some not so, plus a bit of constipation from time to time. I must sound a bit of a pill popper, but believe me when I say that I absolutely hate taking any sort of medication and would go without it if I possibly could, especially as I've had some very serious side effects from stuff in the past.

2. Cav

Cav pfm Member

According to the BBC he is her boyfriend.

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

This is correct, a lot of drugs are synergistic like this. Aspirin and phenacitin was a popular combination bak in the day. Funnily enough, in my work with food, you get the same with artificial sweeteners, so the soft drinks manufacturers are using (say) Ace-K with aspartame and similar cocktails to get similar sweetness for less (expensive) ingredient, and ideally less bitter after taste. The soft drinks industry are doing back flips over the demonisation of sugar, artificials are cheaper per unit sweetness than sugar, so happy days. The stuff costs buttons anyway, so at 60p a can the margins are spectacular.

4. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I have always been more concerned about the effect of aspartame on my family than sugar.

5. Natara

Natara pfm Member

I think the war on drugs is completely stupid and a war that can never ever be won as has been proved over the past 40 years or more and to possibly imprison a woman for possesion of a man made medication is outrageous IMO. Alcohol is as addictive as prescription pain medication and as painful to come off I would imagine but it is not ilegal to drink alcohol in Egypt regulated but not illegal. Give her a fine for her stupidity and send her home.

The unforgiving and moralistic view of some of you on this forum is hard to fathom when there is so much shit going on in the world how about a bit of live and let live forgiveness and understanding.

TheDecameron and vuk like this.
  6. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I think, before we forgive and forget, we should try to establsh what she believed she was doing. Given that some reports are that Tramadol addiction is a big problem in Egypt, and she seems to have been carrying rather more than would be appropriate for personal use, did she really believe they were only for her boyfriend? If not, what did she think was going to happen to them?

7. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

In the days of internet pharmacy, one might wonder why someone would try to personally take an opiate to a foreign country. Surely she asked the question, "why can you not get it there?" or, "I seem to remember an item about Team Sky and Tramadol....."

8. Cav

Cav pfm Member

If there is a trial, many questions wll be answered.

9. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

And possibly many lies told.

10. Natara

Natara pfm Member

OK so let us sumize that she knew they were not for her friend/boyfriend and that she had an idea that other people may take them, well then what is an appropriate punishment for possessing a medicine available over the counter in many Asian & African countries and legal with a prescription worldwide?

I'm afraid the 'when in Rome' argument doesn't hold water with respect to Egypt otherwise it would then be fine for English men to physically abuse their wives when they visit Sharm El Sheik and to escape prosecution if they killed them after finding them in a passionate embrace with another man because 'when in Rome' you should follow the rules of Rome.

Is it justifiable to blacken this womans name and publicly appoint ourselves judge and jury when we do not even know what the real circumstances of the case are? Are we saying that there are no circumstances under which this woman if guilty of any crime under Egyptian Law could be treated leniently and merely sent home.

11. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

You sound like Tony Hancock in the 12 Angry Men spoof.

“Does Magna Carta mean nothing...Did she die in vain...”

I suspect you don’t travel much.

Applying your liberal values in some parts of the world will get you banged up sharpish.

12. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Best not to.

13. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

Way too many words.

One word answer is "yes"

14. Natara

Natara pfm Member

I would hazrard a guess a litle bit more than someone who has 17,485 posts on an internet hifi forum and can quote Tony Hanock.

15. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

300 of em?
    Get real.
    Drug smuggling into Egypt. Stupid.

16. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

I strongly suspect that, given the simple fact that she did walk straight through customs with them in her bag, that you attribute intelligence or malice aforethought where neither apply. PLENTY of people are that 'thick' or innocent, or underinformed IME.

17. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

indeed - she deserves everything she gets.

Mr Cat likes this.
  18. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

In a military dictatorship that rounds up and murders any opposition, you might be relieved that in terms of "getting everything she deserves", you are not in her shoes.

Rockmeister likes this.
  19. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

In which case I fear that she is about to receive a very rapid education. Not before time, if she genuinely imagined that she could stroll through customs with 300 opiate drugs in her handbag. I mean, it's only drugs, in an airport, nobody has ever been caught doing that and sent to prison, have they? Maybe she just hasn't ever heard of it happening. It's not like the press make a big deal of drug smuggling is it?

20. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

I have travelled all over the world, to many many places people consider "dodgy", or with very odd rules about prescription medicines or literature or whatever, and every time I have checked and double checked the rules before I departed.

She should have checked or knew what she was doing and took a risk - regardless she got caught breaking the rules.