1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Trends in printing/framing (did my post disappear?)

Discussion in 'photo' started by Coda II, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

I was sure I posted a query this morning about alternatives to deep white mounts with thin black frames for showing photographic work and also the pros and cons of photographic paper v giclee. Can’t find any trace now, but that was the gist.

Any thoughts?

2. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

It did, along with my reply - the gist of which was:

For exhibitions I use DSC lustre - Fuji Crystal Archive, as behind glass it looks as good as anything. Giclee, is just ink-jet printing and although the longevity issues are behind us, it is an expensive process, but you can do very large prints, and have some choices of paper finish not available with conventional photographic papers. However, I have a giclee print in my exhibition that is on at the moment, and now it is behind glass you cannot tell that it cost me five times the cost of the print next to it!

3. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

I think it was your web site I had a look at yesterday - it's an interesting exhibition space you have!
    Because I don't put my textile work behind glass I'm inclined to go for a print option that also doesn't need glass and I'm curious about the preconceptions that various presentation options prompt. As soon as you add a mount/frame/glass I think it changes the way the public approach the work. I guess with a giclee print treating it like an engraving or etching and putting it in a deeper box frame preserves a bit more of the differentiation that the alternative papers bring?
    On the other hand DSCL also offer various mounting options (wood/acrylic) for C-type prints which in some ways look more commercial/public space options but also get away from a classic photography exhibition look (again, just to repeat, I have noting against photography exhibitions but just don't want this show to have that feel).
    I really need to get some sample prints done but does eg. the Fuji Velvet Paper (Flat Matt) get closer to being the paper look that a giclee paper might have?

4. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

The acrylic panels do give a nice frameless look that I rather like, and a nice glossy surface - which can look great if the light is right. They tend to be quite expensive, likewise aluminium panels. The Fuji Velvet Matt I've only used once and I had issues with it as the profile didn't give me a completely cast free monochrome image (most of my work is mono) - but DSC are really helpful, and they did reprint it for me and although I can see a very, very slight cast, no-one else would notice. It is very matt and does look like inkjet matt paper, though I think the blacks may come out better on the C-type - though the image I used has no deep blacks. It is also about twice the price of the lustre prints, so in the giclee price zone...
    If you are not using glass in your frames, then i think that I would steer more towards ink-jet printing so you could use more textured papers and get a more tactile object that would work well in parallel with your textiles. When I was ink-jet printing at home I did have fun printing onto different materials with some really quite bizarre results - mono prints onto kitchen roll fade to green quite quickly then eventually disappear altogether - not maybe something you'd want to sell!
    DSC do small prints really cheaply so I'd suggest you get them to do you a selection box of different papers all from maybe one image.