1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Trump Part 11

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Gaius, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Perhaps we will start to see the Republican party begin to put distance between itself and DOTUS, if this is perceived as evidence of the likely mullering the party will receive at elections for the forseeable future.

2. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

And not just a victory but a crushing victory based on a huge Dem turnout in all the key demographics (i.e. wealthy suburban and minority communities). This looks a lot like an anti-Trump wave that gives hope for 2018.

3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

The last woman who gave an anti Trump wave got sacked, as I recall.

4. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Yes and she should be given a job by someone with some guts.

5. Hook

Hook pfm Member

Have to assume this was a north Virginia-led, anti-Trump referendum, because the Dems did not run a very good campaign. I see this more as disaster averted.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...election-democrats-infighting-215802?lo=ap_d1

Also, the national level infighting did not help. On the positive side, if the Dems can get their act together in the next few months, there is still reason for optimism in the 2018 mids.

6. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

7. Hook

Hook pfm Member

Yes, it was once again a mostly urban versus rural vote, but fortunately, turnout was up in all urban areas.

Most on the left were disappointed by Northam, especially as he tacked right during the last few weeks of the election. There was considerable fear yesterday that it would end badly. Am glad it didn’t!

The debate will continue within the Democratic Party. Do we continue putting up moderates, and hope to attract swing voters? Or do we stand a better chance of regaining majorities with more progressive candidates, and a more excited base? Am guessing we will see different strategies in different states.

8. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

it's a shame the DNC is playing with fire right now: alienating progressives and failing to reform their flawed, corporatist ways. if these things are not sorted out, it may all go wrong again in the next presidential election.

vuk.

maxflinn likes this.
  9. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I think the required strategy is much more nuanced than you acknowledge. The race you run depends on where you are in the country and the #1 reason Hillary lost was misogyny. The most important message for democrats, sadly, is to run male candidates, unless they're in CA or the Northeast.

10. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

11. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

This will help legitimize people who actually need to do something to stop something, in the event, hopefully.

Every little bit helps. It does leave on thinking a bigger bit is already overdue....

12. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

To be fair the Dems had a very good turn out.

And they won!

Given the nightmare of both Houses and indeed the White House I think the Dems look good for the mid terms, this could just return some balance.

If the Dotard is not outed he will at least be paralysed.

13. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Allegations that Roy Moore (GOP candidate for Sessions' old Alabama seat in the US Senate) initiated sexual contact with a 14-year old when he was a 32-yr old assistant DA (i.e. a long time ago) is likely to deepen the split between the GOP Establishment in D.C., who are calling for him to step down, and local Republican activists, who are circling the wagons to defend their man.

The funniest defence of Moore came from Alabama State Auditor Jim Ziegler, who thinks it's all OK:
    “Take the Bible — Zachariah and Elizabeth, for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist,” Ziegler says, choosing his words carefully before invoking Christ. “Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.”
    “There’s just nothing immoral or illegal here,” Ziegler concluded. “Maybe just a little bit unusual.”
    WaPo articles:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/woman-says-roy-moore-initiated-sexual-encounter-when-she-was-14-he-was-32/2017/11/09/1f495878-c293-11e7-afe9-4f60b5a6c4a0_story.html?utm_term=.238071973671&wpisrc=nl_daily202&wpmm=1
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...6da1d2-c57b-11e7-84bc-5e285c7f4512_story.html
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news..._term=.3f21f02efbaa&wpisrc=nl_daily202&wpmm=1
    That should mix it up nicely for the rest of the campaign. The Republicans have a Senate Majority of 2.

14. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Saudi Arabia's Prince Mohammed bin Salman has been talking a lot with Trump's son in law Jared Kushner. The big crackdowns in Saudi Arabia are the kinds of things that the Trump administration wishes it could do too.

15. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

[Francis Griffin]He should have left poor Joseph out of it, as he was cuckold by God the Father with that whore Mary who sold her virginity to the Holy Spirit for a shot at assumption.[/Francis Griffin]

16. chainrule

chainrule gordon

i thought mary was raped by a roman soldier, and made up the story about god impregnating her because she was too embarrassed to tell the truth.

17. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

not sure how you can make that claim. i understand what you are getting at, but i would argue that any misogyny was a post-decision effect (by decision, i mean the cognitive evaluation of her at any point, not vote). note that misogyny didn't stop the people i assume you are referring to from being whipped into a frenzy by sarah palin when she burst on the scene. also, consider the fetish-like devotion to maragret thatcher by some people we know. when they are on their side, it's another matter altogether, if you see what i mean.

also, to clarify, i was speaking of the next presidential battle, not senate and congressional races. the DNC has some serious issues right now with the "real" left. frank thomas does a nice job of tracing the roots of what has gone wrong and here is one fairly brief interview:

vuk.

maxflinn likes this.
  18. maxflinn

maxflinn Always Trying To Be Logical

Sean, she lost because she's a self-entitled neoliberal warmonger who ran a woeful campaign. She didn't even visit a few of the Rust Belt states where the election was won.

Trump appealed more to more of the people in this area with his talk of creating jobs, ending the wars, stopping all the plants moving away etc.

Were she not such a corrupt, power-hungry person there's a fair chance Bernie Sanders would now be president.

She should F-off to retire somewhere and leave the Democratic Party alone so that there's some hope it may once again return to being the party of the working man, and not the party of the banks and military industrial complex. ie, Republican lite.

19. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Yeah Max, but Trump is a warmongering unstable narcissist. You shilled for him all the way through the election campaign. Learn to live with the consequences.

20. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

are you suggesting max was the reason she lost?

vuk.

maxflinn likes this.