1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultrasonic Wall of Sound

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Julf, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Winter is coming, so rodents try to move indoors. As I was thinking of how to discourage them, I came across some piezo tweeter horns being dumped really cheaply (less than € 2.50 each). Add a surplus class D amp and a Raspberry Pi, and you have the Ultrasonic Wall of Sound.

Finally a valid use for a 96 kHz sample rate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmmph... Seems the forum doesn't grok Google Photos. Here is a link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2yUkFdTbc3j6H4DS2

2. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

It does - you just have to use the link to the original large images and the insert image button. The images are rather large though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Julf

Thanks! That's what I thought I did...

4. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

5. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim pfm Member

Ultrasonic wall of sound??
    Was that a track by Andy Warhol?

6. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

What's the capacitance of one piezo unit, Julf?
    With that much 'C' as a load, if you couldn't just use a mosfet and small inductor or two off the supply, and just do away with the rasppi and amp: free-running ultrasonic power oscillator.

7. Julf

One unit is something like 0.13 uF. Pretty sure the commercial rodent repellent devices use a simple circuit, but I like the fact that I can make the signal more complex (random, dissonant frequencies at random intervals).

8. martin clark

I hope you’re gong to DBT that across random panels of rats ;)

9. Julf

In this case I approve of sighted evaluation - if I don't see any rodents I am happy.

10. martin clark

..until you get bigger, harder rats coming round demanding you play them nosebleed techno...

11. Julf

Uh oh - I already ensured the signal was dissonant and random to allay the concerns my wife had that I might end up as an (electronic) pied piper of Hamelin...

12. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

Obviously this will only work for young rodents, the older ones will not know what the kids are complaining about.

13. diybry

diybry pfm Member

I just use rodent poison. It even works without plugging it in

14. Julf

I hate decaying rodents under floors and in walls.

15. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

If you had more you could make an ultrasonic Wall of Death.

Pete

16. Julf

Hmm... I wonder if they still have them at the cheap price...

17. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

These cheap piezos are widely sold in SE Asia to attract cave swiftlets. People "farm" them in shoplot roofs for the edible (and expensive) nests

18. grahamdocman

grahamdocman pfm Member

Isn't this what the Americans accused the Cubans of doing at the American embassy in Havana, if so I'm sure the Cubans were only trying to get rid of any rats :)