1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Unusually honest review!

Discussion in 'trade discussion' started by Purité Audio, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

2. narabdela

narabdela who?

Given the current level of performance of low priced DACs, the results don't surprise me in the slightest.

The honesty is a breath of fresh air however.

3. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Where's the review? It's like measuring two meals & being disappointed with one before tasting them. Yes subjective reviews can be very misleading, but you can go the other way with objectivity & forget about the important thing: listening enjoyment.

4. Purité Audio

They are DACs Yo, digital to audio converters,
    Keith

5. suzywong

suzywong The Man who had no Naim

Your point being?

6. Purité Audio

They are converters, they should neither add or detract just convert.
    Keith

7. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Great now if the designer of that dac just set himself to fixing all of audios shortcomings we can give up.

8. suzywong

suzywong The Man who had no Naim

I don't see any mention of "audio shortcomings" in that review. In fact I couldn't find any mention of audio "anything". Some interesting sweeps, though.

I presume that the exaSound is not in Purite's portfolio :D

9. Purité Audio

Neither Exasound or Behringer I just thought the respective measurements might be of interest, obiously flowery anecdote would have been preferable !
    Keith

10. CoherentSystems

CoherentSystems Trade: Coherent Systems

I see you are up to your usual tactics again Keith.

Full marks for persistence though, considering the gaps in your knowledge base I'm surprised the audio intelligentsia on this fine forma still engage with you.

Personally I will consed that the staff in the office here find you quite amusing Keith which given that its Friday is no mean feat!

11. Purité Audio

Is Exasound one of your’s Tony?
    Keith

12. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

I can't say I was even that impressed with the measurements. It's hard to tell what's going on if you don't match the levels, and it seemed to be there was some confusion over which was which. But maybe that was just me not being that engaged with the post.

13. Dark Energy

Dark Energy pfm Member

I have to agree, what matters is which one allows you to enjoy music more. It's very odd Hi-Fi is pretty unique in being assessed by one method and actually used in a quite different way. Also I've owned too many pieces of equipment that measured extremely well and sounded terrible, or measured badly and sounded wonderful.

14. Purité Audio

I have never owned any piece of equipment that measured well and sounded bad, how could it?
    On the other hand I have heard poorly measuring equipment sound if not bad certainly not to my taste.
    Keith

15. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Distributor and Manufacturer

Come on Keith, you've been doing this for 10 years. You should know by now that measurements, while extremely useful, simply do not tell the whole picture?

16. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

No wonder it's no improvement over the cheaper Dac... only if it had some Black Ravoli feet under it and a Quantum Spirit Guide™ mains plug!

17. Purité Audio

Yes they do.
    Keith

18. DNM

DNM pfm Member

No they don't. What about the casework, price tag and the gushing reviews in the audiofoo press? All stacks up to making a 'Night and Day' difference to ones bragging rights, ownership proposition not to mention hearing!

19. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Why does he have results that differ by almost 10db for the same dac for the same test in two different graphs. In one test the exasound Is minus 130db then almost minus 140db when tested against the mytek.

20. joe9407

joe9407 actress/activist

thanks to Keith for posting this! combing through ASR made for an enjoyable afternoon of hungover hi-fi reading. however, seems like many questions have been raised but not, to my mind, adequately answered about the quality of the measurements, particularly in his reviews of the Uptone Audio LPS-1 and the microRendu. i'd love to know if anyone's been able to confirm his findings -- Google didn't have much to reveal on that front.