1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Utilising the Quad 909's balanced inputs

Discussion in 'classic' started by mjwolf, Oct 29, 2017.

1. mjwolf

mjwolf Member

Hi All,

I recently bought a Quad 909 and an Audiolab 8200CD, and very pleased I am with them too. I'm currently using a Chord CrimsonPlus RCA interconnect between the two, but I note that the 8200CD has balanced XLR outputs, and the 909 balanced inputs, albeit via the ampbus socket. With that little preamble, I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have an idea s to how difficult/expensive it would be to make/have made a cable to connect the Audiolab XLR outputs to the Quad ampbus socket?

and

2. would it be worth the trouble? Obviously, this depends on the answer to the first question ;).

Cheers.

2. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

1) Not difficult or expensive to make but you need to know the relevant pin numbering on the 15 way D connector. You could try the Dada electronics site.

2) Probably not.

3. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

If it's any help:- when I had a 99 pre and 909 power, I couldn't hear any obvious difference whether they were connected via ampbus or rca.

4. mjwolf

mjwolf Member

Thanks a lot for the help. Regarding whether or not it makes a difference, I've noticed some hissing through the speakers when the system's idle, which is apparently a common issue with the 8200CD and which can be mitigated by using the balanced outputs.

5. abbydog

abbydog pfm Member

1, Join DADA Electronics site.
    2, Look up their Quad 77 schematic which has the pin outs for ‘quadlink’ D connectors. They are identical for 909 etc.
    3, buy dsub and xlrs plus a bit of starquad and make up a patch cable.
    4, you can then site power amp(s) next to speakers and run any length of balanced line between pre and power. This is quite handy. ISTR you can also daisy chain power amps. Lots of fun to be had.

6. mjwolf

mjwolf Member

Thanks a lot for the detailed advice abbydog.

7. Chris88

Chris88 pfm Member

The Quad 909's balanced signal is not genuine (not a native balanced signal), which means the signal has to be converted for the purpose and in this situation, actually creates an extra step in the conversion process. I would stick with RCA personally which will give you a more direct signal. Balanced can often be better, but not in the case of the Quad 909 (unfortunately).

8. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

What "conversion process" is that? An additional transistor?

9. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

Spot on yes.

10. Arkless Electronics

I guess every time this topic comes up Julf will say this... and I'll come along and say he is 100% wrong and to ignore him.

11. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

This is analogue electronics, neither is 100% wrong or 100% right, you are just biased differently.

12. Julf

The difference is that I tend to explain my rationale, and you tend to go "because I say so".

13. Julf

That is the fundamental problem with analog! :)

14. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

If your Audiolab and Quad are a couple of miles apart (well, a long way, like 10M or more), in an noisy electrical / RF environment, or there are some hum issues, then balanced might make sense. Otherwise I do not believe you will hear the difference even if, in theory, balanced is a 'better' option.

15. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Or watch this video showing the difference in 'noise' pick up between starquad and non starquad balanced cables.

It shows the noise pick up from a PC and an embedded transformer, so just a normal domestic environment.

Shame he did not include an ordinary RCA cable in the test, but note both cables are shielded.

https://www.designacable.com/ should be able to make an interconnect for you, and at considerably less cost than a 'domestic audio' cable.

16. Arkless Electronics

I agree yes.

17. mjwolf

mjwolf Member

Thanks. As I mentioned in a subsequent post, the problem that I'm experiencing (which I hadn't noticed when I started the thread) is hissing when there's no signal coming from the 8200CD. According to posts I've read on other forums, this is apparently a known issue when feeding from the RCA outputs of the 8200CD into a high sensitivity amp such as the 909, and one which is mitigated when using the balanced outputs.

18. mjwolf

mjwolf Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at that website.